• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recommend a master keyboard

Recommend a master keyboard

Hi there,
    I know this isn\'t really the right thread, but it\'s the most read... I\'m looking to get rid of my old technics piano and buy a proper weighted 88 key master keyboard and was wondering what the recommendations were... I was thinking just a midi-keyboard (but I s\'pose it could have on-board sounds).
    I\'m mainly a pianist, but want a keyboard which is also good for playing dan dean and gos and allows me to control expression... don\'t know if the two are counter to each other.
    Does anyone have any recommendations (I\'m sure I\'ll get confilicting responses)
    And I also know its personal choice, but it\'d be nice to know where to start...

[This message has been edited by paynterr (edited 02-04-2002).]

Re: Recommend a master keyboard

I\'ve done a short preselection on older topics:

And, to support Bruce Richardson\'s recent tip on using a wind controller, check out this one as well: http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/001249.html

For more, just use the Search option on each page. Tons of interesting stuff on this forum!

Thanks for your help...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timo Heil:
    http://www.studiologic.net/fatar-menu.htm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recommend these too. Cheap, but solid, they\'re exactly the same core guts as many more expensive controllers (for which Fatar manufactures the action) without the frills.

I used a Roland A80 for years, and much prefer the feel of my cheap Fatar to that. It has a nice long keystroke which helps with pianissimo control. However, you certainly won\'t find hugely sophisticated levels of programming on the Fatar. It will do the job, though, without killing your bank account.

yep -
    I use a Fatar as well( Studio Logic 2001 ).
    Good keyboard action if you\'re a piano player
    - others might find it a bit heavy.

Does anyone know of an 88key SYNTH touch?

I believe that the best actions currently available reside in some of the more expensive digital pianos, such as the Yamaha or Roland higher-end models.

Of course, these actions come at a price, but there are advantages to using digital pianos as piano controllers:

1) The unit is \'all in one\'
    2) The amplification has been optimised for a piano signal
    3) The keyboard won\'t wobble with heavy playing (unlike a Fatar on an X stand)
    4) If you\'re playing live and GigaStudio decides to crash, you have an instant backup piano voice.

[This message has been edited by sjduck (edited 02-06-2002).]

If you are looking for authentic piano action, and would consider moving into the Digital Piano price range, I recommend the Kawaii MP9000. (I think its now the MP9500).

My unit was about $1500.

I play this thing all day everyday and I could not be happier!!

Anybody using the Kurzweil sp 88 semi weighted? I\'m thinking of going to it. Very affordable at $699.

Go Back to forum