• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Multis in logic - ahhhhhh!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Multis in logic - ahhhhhh!!!!

Hello everyone. I am extremely frustrated to say the least. I cannot figure out how to set up a multi instrument in Kontakt Player 2 and Logic Pro 8. I have searched the forum for hours and found things that looked like they should work, but I MUST be missing something. So here goes...

I start with a blank project then select one Software Instrument. I go to the box under the I/O and select Kontakt Player 2 > Multi Output (16xStereo). I clicked on outputs in the Kontakt Player and hit "Make Default" then closed Logic and reopened it.

I then selected the same Mutli Kontakt and loaded my instruments. Lets say I start with Violins and Cellos. In the Arrange Window I have 2 tracks, both from the same Kontakt Player. The Violins are MIDI Channel 1 and the Cellos MIDI Channel 2. Now, what do I do next because this is what I did so far:

Made the Output in the actual Kontakt Player for the Violins 3-4 and the Cellos 5-6 (I remember someone saying don't use 1-2 for some reason but am not sure why). I went to the Mixer Window and hit the "+" to add 2 Stereo Aux Channels. I then made the input of the first Aux Channel "KontaktPla 3-4" and the second Aux Channel's input "KontaktPla 5-6." This linked them in the Mixer to "Inst 1" as I though it should (only in the "Single" view). But, no matter what I do the sound still skips the Aux Channels and goes to Out 1-2.

What am I doing wrong? I'm really getting tired of loading separate Kontakt Players for every instrument. I can't EQ one Kontakt Player if I have all the strings running through one EQ. If I raise the low end for the Violins a tad it gets mushy because of the Bass and so forth.

What am I doing wrong? I feel like I've tried everything, but I can't get it to work. PLEASE HELP ME!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm really not angry, just depressed and confused )
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Multis in logic - ahhhhhh!!!!

EDIT:

I actually got it sort of working for a second. I hit the AUX button in the upper right of the Kontakt Player, and then it started sending them through, but it sounded different than if I didn't use them. It was much louder, and this might have been because it was sending the signal twice? I don't know. So I closed Logic then reopened it and did EXACTLY what I did the time before, and I was right back to my initial post - nothing though the AUX Channels in Logic Pro.

Do I have to do something with the "Conf." settings under each of the channels in the "Outputs" section of the Kontakt Player?

EDIT AGAIN:

I think that I had to click on "Reset Out Map." also, because then it seems to work. I'm just curious though as it seems to get much louder through the Aux Channel than when it originally went through Out 1-2 directly. I don't think there is a doubling of any sorts, its just much louder by default.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hello everyone. I apologize for my post, because I ended up figuring it out. Anyway, if this is a problem other people have I will happily make a video of how to do it then post it on youtube. Just let me know, because I don't want anyone else wasting time setting up their system just to write music. That time should be spent composing.
    -Keith Fuller

---

so you found the multitimbral checkbox then? good good!

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    Hello everyone. I apologize for my post, because I ended up figuring it out. Anyway, if this is a problem other people have I will happily make a video of how to do it then post it on youtube. Just let me know, because I don't want anyone else wasting time setting up their system just to write music. That time should be spent composing.
    Hey Keith,
    I for one would love to see a video. I spent some time with multis when Logic 8 first came out and gave up on it. I've used DP for multis ever since, or used single instances multiple times in Logic.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Hey Keith,
    I for one would love to see a video. I spent some time with multis when Logic 8 first came out and gave up on it. I've used DP for multis ever since, or used single instances multiple times in Logic.

-Kevin
    Its quite simple when you know how.

1 - Click the + button at the top of the arrange window to add a new instrument.

2- select 'software instrument'. Just above it should appear a tickbox saying 'multitimbral'. Tick it. When you do, the number of instances will change from 1 to 16.

3. Click ok.

4. Done.

For multiple outputs from your multi sample player do the following.

1. Load in the sample player (using its multiple output version - eg. Kontakt 3 16xStereo)

2. Go into the mixer (press X) and find the software instrument's channel. At the bottom of it, just below the meter there are 2 small buttons. a - and a +.

3. Clicking on the + will add an auxillery track whose inputs are the next 2 outputs from that software instrument. So if you click it twice you get more auxiliary tracks with the following inputs. "3-4 stereo" and "5-6 stereo". (The original channel is 1-2 stereo). Simply label them as you want.

The inputs to these auxillary tracks can be changed. Remember that you wont hear anything through the new auxillery channel strips until you've routed them to the 3-4 out, 5-6 out etc in the sample player. If an instrument in the multi is routed out through one of these, but you have not yet made the auxillary track in the mixer, it will sound through the default output for that track (i.e. 1-2 stereo).

Hope that helps someone.

Ben

Thanks for the details Ben! I'll try it this afternoon.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

My main issue with multis is that you can't freeze them. Why is that? It really doesn't make any sense to me?
    -Keith Fuller

---

This might be a good Wiki entry.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Go Back to forum