• Register
  • Help

Topic: Meaning of Syrian phrases in 'Voices of Passion'?

Share/Bookmark

Meaning of Syrian phrases in 'Voices of Passion'?

I plan to use the syrian phrases in the background score of a movie (which has muslim protagonists). But I wouldnt want the phrases to be totally out of context.

Is there anywhere I can find the meaning of the phrases?

Re: Meaning of Syrian phrases in 'Voices of Passion'?

As I expect you know, some phrases in VOP are gibberish (intentionally) and some are bits and pieces of longer phrases or Latin words etc.. I don't believe EW's intention was that we use the voices to create real lines of lyrics with real meaning. Having said that, one solution might be to work with someone who speaks Arabic and another way to obtain this type of information might be to post on the forum (see link below) where Doug, Nick and others from EW will see your question and can perhaps offer some assistance. They have seemed reluctant in the past to reveal details such as this, but on that forum you also can gain access to other users. Maybe if you are lucky, someone there can speak the language as well. HTH...................playz

http://www.-forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks playz123.

I dont think the phrases are gibberish, at least the manual doesnt say so. They are either do re mee ma kind of scale stuff, or parts of longer lines as you said, or just single english words as in the wales section. The syrian ones seem to be meaning something..

The forum link you posted doesnt seem to be correct.. can you check it please? I think I will post specific bits I plan to use to get the meaning from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Neole View Post
    Thanks playz123.

I dont think the phrases are gibberish, at least the manual doesnt say so. They are either do re mee ma kind of scale stuff, or parts of longer lines as you said, or just single english words as in the wales section. The syrian ones seem to be meaning something..

The forum link you posted doesnt seem to be correct.. can you check it please? I think I will post specific bits I plan to use to get the meaning from someone.
    You might try an ethnic musicologist at UCLA or USC. I'd bet you could get an answer with an mp3 link....

good luck.
    Scott's homegrown website

http://www.scottydotcom.com/

Sorry about the link, mate! It was copied directly from the Forum URL when I was there this morning, but for some reason doesn't seem to work now. Try this one and the select "General Discussion": http://www.-forums.com/index.php
    (NOPE, that link taken directly from the browser's address line when I'm at the forum also doesn't work when posted here either.....so....)
    If that link is broken then simple do a Google search for the Forums and you should be able to find it.

Re. my gibberish reference, no, that word was not used in the manual, but I believe Nick mentions in one of his tutorials that the sounds of the Welsh singer and the American one are meant to be sound creation tools and they don't have any particular meaning. Please check if wish to verify this. I certainly can't make any sense out of them. Perhaps too I should have been more specific about which singers I was referring to. The Bulgarian singer and the Syrian singer do indeed sing some recognizable words...but on the other hand that wasn't really the point of my post either. .....................playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks for the suggestion scottsta.

Playz123 - I think the forum is deleting that part of the url. I found it on google.

As for the words - the welsh singer is actually singing 40 unconnected english words. The indian one is singing scales. Bulgarian and American are oohs and aahs etc. Syrian is the one who is giving phrases.. and since Im using the syrian sounds for a muslim themed movie, I better not combine the phrases to mean something entirely disrespectful!

Sorry about the link, mate! It was copied directly from the Forum URL when I was there this morning, but for some reason doesn't seem to work now. Try this one and the select "General Discussion": http://www.-forums.com/index.php
    (NOPE, that link taken directly from the browser's address line when I'm at the forum also doesn't work when posted here either.....so....)
    That's the not so nice (ridiculous) censorship of NS - there are actually other forums where this doesn't happen

I think since this Sony VG Littlebigplanet got sued because of some lines out of the koran - it would be important to know what the phrases mean.

They didn't get sued, but they did have to spend millions of dollars recalling games/scrambling to release a patch.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Go Back to forum