• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere - Any normal sounds?

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere - Any normal sounds?

I don't have Omnisphere yet, planning on buying.
    I've listened every clip out there and yes, Omnisphere has very interesting sounds and cool evolvind sound scapes but...

Why on earth none of the video and audio demos including Spectrasonics' videos introduce us Omnispheres "normal" type of sounds?? How annoying.
    Or is there any? I've gotten the impression (from the videos) that all I can do with the software is some soundtrack to movie or something like that.

I mean I want those weird sounds too but does it include normal piano samples for example? I want to know what else do I REALLY NEED with this thing.

Soemone could really make a demo of those sounds that people can use in everyday music making.

Re: Omnisphere - Any normal sounds?

Omnisphere has lots of playable sounds like choirs, pads, leads, basses, guitars, plucked stuff, mallets etc
    Its a full blown synthesizer and can create a wide variety of sounds

you could check out some of my clips at vimeo to hear some regular sounds from Omnisphere.
    I used some of the guitars, the dream piano, the strings etc.

Hans

regarding the normal piano-Omnisphere has several pianobased samples but none of them tries to compete with a dedicated piano product like Ivory or Pianoteq.
    But the ones included make great elements for sounddesign like adding a pianoattacktransient to a synthsound or create otherwordly underwatergrandpiano patches.
    But for regular Boogie Woogie and the like you will have to invest in some additional Piano lib.
    I use Ivory and Pianoteq and can recommend both.

There are some traditional colours but I think its fair to say that on the whole the program leans towards soundscapes. The program is clearly capable of doing simpler colours a la standard synths, and I for one hope that at some stage in the future more simpler presets will be added (or shared by other users). I haven't found a space for Omni yet in my own music making (pop/jazz) but one never knows where the creativity takes you.....,,,or when that soundtrack commission comes in!

Richard P

YES! Omnisphere has a lot of very useful "straight ahead" sounds too. It's definitely not just for soundtrack work.

Check out all the Strings, Choir and Acoustic Guitar sounds in particular.

Everyone...don't miss the "Traditional" directory at the bottom of the Patch list! :-)

Many audio demos coming soon.

OK I wanted to shy away from this one but..Omni is not a workstation swiss army knife thing like some things..It isn't a Korg or Roland or a Kontakt or any of that..At least not to me..I find that a very large blessing..I have loads of pianos,, organs,, electric pianos,,, etc..

At present. I find the original blurb about it taking a lifetime to explore to be more and more exact as my time with omni extends..This thing as is..Is IMO only the tip of the iceberg...Ouch...JON

For Normal type sounds (standard synth fare) - I just open up a synth & preset I enjoy (on RP Predator for eg) and Omni at the same time.

I manually replicate all the OSC / amp / filter / etc settings as possible from the Normal synth to Omni - then tweak from there to either get closer or improve on the original. Sure its a bit o work - but its more productive that facebook!

I looked Under the Traditional catagory, got some eg of normal:
    Guitars (jazz)
    Loads of Strings (from synth classics)
    bells galore
    Pipe organ
    Choir choir choir
    boys choir
    eric persing singing in the shower (nah - just joking )

I searched piano, got about 84+ patches:

Rhodes & Hammond patches & soundsources
    retro piano
    Piano & glockenspiel (seperate layer - you can mute / change one)
    grandmas piano

Lots to choose from for normal - its probably just not very exciting to demo another 'strings' & 'piano' patch. But Omni is not meant as a replacement for an orchestral library - each instrument has its place.

Cheers
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Not to be overlooked are the Unison and Harmonia features in the Synth area in the Oscillator section, which I've used to create some luscious organ pads. Sprinkling on some of the included Ultra Chorus too...

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma View Post
    OK I wanted to shy away from this one but..Omni is not a workstation swiss army knife thing like some things..It isn't a Korg or Roland or a Kontakt or any of that..At least not to me..I find that a very large blessing..I have loads of pianos,, organs,, electric pianos,,, etc..

At present. I find the original blurb about it taking a lifetime to explore to be more and more exact as my time with omni extends..This thing as is..Is IMO only the tip of the iceberg...Ouch...JON
    +1

Omnisphere isn't meant to be a basic 'acoustic sounds' sample library - and yet there is MUCH there in that area (the guitar samples are beautiful).

It's a wide pallet of very original and quality samples/sound sources (many with a very 'acoustic' or rather 'organic' quality) that sit well in a variety of settings. And the possibilities (with very little effort) to create new and original sounds is nothing short of astounding. And I speak as a guy who is "challenged" in this area. Omni makes me feel like a sound design genius!

IMHO, and for my tastes, these sounds are the most usefull when combined with other acoustic samples. And for me, though it is much broader than Atmosphere, I think I will end up using it much the same way - that I will use it a least a little (if not more) in almost everything I do. It's just consistently musically relevant.

I'll chime in.

I have nearly every VI made and I have to say that Omnisphere is remarkably inspirational. And nearly all the sounds - sound amazing. It's becoming my goto plug when I'm just starting a song or whatever.

Go Back to forum