• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tuning Software!!!

Share/Bookmark

Tuning Software!!!

Howdy all...can anybody out there in gigaland recommend software that will allow me to accurately tune samples...I found this old upright piano that I am wanting to sample...but don\'t have enough time to get it tuned...so...my idea is...sample it anyways...and try and tune it afterwards to clean up the dissonance...any ideas???

thanks
    JPS

Re: Tuning Software!!!

Not a piano man but more than one string per note=impossible.

Doesn\'t the Malmsjo have this problem?

Sorry if I\'m talking rubbish here.

There are tuning plug ins like Auto Tune, and Waves Pitch shift (which will track pitch but i dont believe it will retune to the correct pitch on the fly)

There is also Melodyne for the MAC.

You should be fine with these if you close mic, but it may tune more of the resonance than you want. Or it may try tuning all the resonance and screw up...

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Probably more easy to get it fixed from the start. To tuning a piano when it\'s sampled you\'ll need a professional pianotuner anyway, since a piano would sound strange if you tuned it \"mathematicly\".
    Also, since a piano-note consists of more then one stríng, you can\'t fix that afterwards if out of tune anyway.

/Worra

This won\'t work. Most of the 88 notes on a piano are created using either 2 or 3 strings vibrating together. If a note is out of tune, it could be because one string is flat, another is sharp or something.
    Get the piano tuned first, then sample it.

Gav

I agree with all the posts about the multiple string problem. However, to address the problem of out-of-tune samples in general, the best solution I have found has been the spectrum analysis in Cool Edit. It very accurately analyzes the pitch to the nearest cent and if this value is recorded in the wave file for your sample, Giga Edit will automatically offset the tuning when you drag the sample into a region. However, there is nothing I am aware of that can fix a sample that has multiple sources that are out of tune with one another.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:
    [B]

Doesn\'t the Malmsjo have this problem?

[B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Malmsjo has really lovely stretching. I have never noticed it being out of tune.

But definitely one cannot \"tune\" a piano after the fact if it contains notes which are out of tune with themselves. AutoTune and the like won\'t even respond to a signal like that--they\'ll just ignore it or \"center\" it at best.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    [B]
    The Malmsjo has really lovely stretching. I have never noticed it being out of tune.

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don\'t own the Malmsjo (but do intend to). It sounds very beautiful, but some of the demos are out of tune (unless - I\'m no expert - the stretch tuning favors certain keys over others).

It\'s not a criticism, but there is certainly something going on with the tuning.

Put it this way (and I love your writing, and always look forward to your articles - I am not worthy, I am not worthy:-) if I had to bet the house on it, I\'d say it was out of tune.

I don\'t have perfect pitch (thank goodness) and I can\'t be arsed working out which notes they are - but they are.

The reason I mentioned it really was to point out (subtley, I had hoped) that perfect tuning is not necessarily a requirement for beauty - so that even though it seemed impossible to me to (internally) tune a piano after it was sampled; it might not matter.

Of course, it may be that I\'m so used to equal temprament (apart from my own) that it just sounds \'out\' (but that would go back to my earlier point about certain keys \'working\' better for certain ears).

Either way, I love the sound. So even if it\'s my waxed-filled lugs and dysfunctional brain playing tricks, I still prefer (whoops, should I say that? I tend to get my derrier whupped when I compare things here) the Malmsjo to anything else I\'ve heard (I\'m Scottish and the price is wonderful too) - Hans, I love you. I\'ll be in touch, soon my darling, soon.)

Butt Kickers can go to the Malmsjo site and listen to Liszt\'s \'Grand Etude de Paganini No 2\' Fabulous. (But outa tune? - You decide.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tleich:
    I agree with all the posts about the multiple string problem. However, to address the problem of out-of-tune samples in general, the best solution I have found has been the spectrum analysis in Cool Edit. It very accurately analyzes the pitch to the nearest cent and if this value is recorded in the wave file for your sample, Giga Edit will automatically offset the tuning when you drag the sample into a region. However, there is nothing I am aware of that can fix a sample that has multiple sources that are out of tune with one another.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds very promising. How do you do this in detail? Also is there a way to batch process these and then re-import them into the editor?

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie,

There are all kinds of software options that do this.

Cool Edit does batches very uniquely. You can actually write macros/scripts that you can apply on many files. This is a really cool feature of Cool Edit.

does anyone know of a cripting program that you can use to do this sort of stuff in Sforge/Wavelab or any app for that matter?

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum