• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opening Scene to my first project

Share/Bookmark

Opening Scene to my first project

This is the music to the opening scene of a project I'm working on. It's the first scoring job I've ever had, so I'm really trying to do my best.

The scene is a battle between two characters. One good and the other evil. Since this is a dark movie (a short film actually) the evil character wins, killing the good guy. The orchestra hits you hear near the end are the good guy being stabbed to death (like I said - dark), and after that the violin plays a variation of one of the main themes - it's the theme I'm using whenever something good is destroyed. I chose the solo violin because of the weeping affect it gives off.

It's sort of a final mix, but will probably have to be redone after I get a taste of the sound system it will be viewed on. So if there are any glaring mixing errors please let me know.

I'd say about 75% of the instruments are GPO, then the Gofriller and Stradivari Solo libraries, as well as a few others.

Anyway, here goes, and please feel free to browse the rest of my site (shameless self-plugging I know).
    Last edited by keithjfuller; 11-21-2008 at 03:36 AM. Reason: misspelling
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Opening Scene to my first project

Sounds good Keith. I especially like the "weeping" theme at the end.

I'm guessing the Double Bass in the beginning GPO is the ensemble KS short bow articulation? There's something about it that gives it away too much as a sample. One idea you might be able to play with is to slightly vary the length parameter - set it a bit longer especially on the stronger, beat one, notes. Another suggestion I have which tends to work well for me is to layer the two solo basses in with the ensemble basses.

Of course, this type of project does not usually give you much time to play around too much with those finer details.

Other than that, the mix sounds fine to my ears.

Rob

It sounds fine to me. I can imagine the action while listening to it.

I can hear what Rob is talking about on the basses.

Congratulations on your first scoring job!

Phil

Keith

Sounds great to me.

What library are the vox from?

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Rob & Phil - thanks for giving it a listen. I know that the basses don't sound perfectly real, but I think its as good as I'm going to get them. I did a lot of editing to give them variations in the velocities (I doubled the Ensemble SB KS and a Solo Bass). I also did some EQ work to get them less mushy and bring out a little more of the growl. I feel like I can get away with it in this instance because they are mostly in the background laying the rhythm. I do wish I could get a little more realistic of a sound, but like I said - I think this is as good as little me can get them.

I'm glad you think the mix turned out alright. This is something I'm getting better and better at each day. I'm still nowhere near the level that I'd like to be, but practice makes perfect I guess.

Ron - The Choir is the South African Voices in the Apple Jam Pack World Music that came with Logic. They actually have some amazing articulations, but I only stuck with one on this. Their main plus is their main downfall - the attacks. The attacks sound totally real, but you can't play them note to note really because the attacks are so defined.

Thanks again for listening. I'll be sure to post more of the stuff when I get it done.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Very, very effective. The writing seems right on the mark, and wonderfully in the style without feeling like an imitation - no easy feat! My only other comment is that the solo violin at the end sounds too far away - perhaps that is the intent? Or maybe my less-than-adequate speakers?

Great job. Good luck on this project!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Very, very effective. The writing seems right on the mark, and wonderfully in the style without feeling like an imitation - no easy feat! My only other comment is that the solo violin at the end sounds too far away - perhaps that is the intent? Or maybe my less-than-adequate speakers?

Great job. Good luck on this project!
    THAT IS THE INTENT!!! Ha. I'm glad that you noticed it, it actually took quite a bit of messing around with the EQ and in Space Designer to acheive it. It makes sense to the picture. That's when the title screen come in, and its sort of zooming in on the sun behind all the haze with the title appearing in the mist. But otherwise I would agree that in a normal setting it would sound very out of place.

The other reason I'm keeping the violin far away is because I'm using that little violin theme when the good characters die. So its sort of them drifting out of life if that makes sense.

I do appreciate you lending your ear.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Hi Keith

As I've just started digging into GPO myself, I thought I'd have a listen as to what you have achieved and how you've used the instruments. And I must say it sounds very effective. In fact it made me want to see the movie section that went with the piece.

Congratulations on the job, I'm sure you're enjoying every minute.

Thanks for sharing your snippet, appreciated, and inspiring.

Peter

Good heavens, is that possible with GPO and a bit from other origin? It sounds great and you gave me quite a few ideas. Nice job and nicer musical effects.

Raymond

Since the begining you deploy an intriguing ambientation, something epic and terrible is coming. I liked a lot the cello attack at 00:33, is very incisive, it has a certain classic rock reference in the rhythm. I find the mix and reverb very well managed too. Excellent!.

Victor

Go Back to forum