• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's your prefered software sampler?

Share/Bookmark

Question What's your prefered software sampler?

I'm pretty much a Kontakt guy, so it's easy to have blinders on as far as the other sampling tools and formats people like using. I'd love to hear about what people are using (or wish they were using), both to help us decide how to improve the libraries I make and just to know what my other options are for deep sample library construction and editing.

Of course there are tons of options out there, but I think that it's important that they have a pretty deep user base and are supported by other developers, if anything so there are other people out there to learn from and collaborate with.

And while were at it, what things to you like or dislike about the sampling software you're using now? These are the formats I'm most familiar with:

NI Kontakt 2
    NI Kontakt 3
    Logic EXS 24
    Steinberg Halion 3
    Cakewalk SFZ/SFZ+
    MOTU Mach 5
    IK-Multimedia Sample Tank
    NI Battery
    Ableton Live Sampler
    Digidesign Structure

Re: What's your prefered software sampler?

NI Kontakt 3

I don`t like that it is not easy to learn the "scripting-language" for Kontakt. Reminds me a little bit to MS-DOS

A better interface for this would be cool!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I'm an exs guy. This is only because I own Logic. I really don't want to spend the $250 on Kontakt. I bet its a great sampler from what i've seen, but like I said, I can't justify the cost in the economy. Thats the main reason I'm not buying those tonehammer libs. They look great, and I'd be able to use them on the current project I'm doing - but they are only Kontakt. Hopefully that could change in the future.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I think we're really leaning toward offering support for the EXS24 format.

We'd need to gather a couple of people who could port between the two very skillfully and then a few beta testing volunteers. We'll be looking into it very soon.

that's great news. please do provide updates. I'm not sure what goes into beta testing, but i'd be happy to help if need be.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I think we're really leaning toward offering support for the EXS24 format.

We'd need to gather a couple of people who could port between the two very skillfully and then a few beta testing volunteers. We'll be looking into it very soon.
    But with the EXS24 cou can do only 30% what you can do with Kontakt 3... . There is no scripting!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

generally speaking, we're not doing a lot of scripting in our libraries. If we do a library that should have legato, we just recommend (or assume) that users would use the SIPS legato script. It's pretty damn awesome for a free scripting enhancement. We don't really have the tech savvy currently to do our own custom scripting, but I'm sure over time we'll partner with good scripters who can help us do more elaborate stuff.

I'd really like the ability to have release triggers not only use the release trigger counter to modulate the volume and other parameters of the release sample as a note is held out, but also allow playing back a different release sample from a lower velocity if the note is held a certain length of time. For example, a piano note played in FF and held for a long time could use a pp release sample rather than relying on the release counter's occasionally poor functionality to yield a realistic-sounding result.

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    I'm an exs guy. .

I'm an old Beer drinking Rock n Roller guy that puts orchestra behind the Rock n Roll.....now dazz they call it Symphonic Rock....what ever, I'm havin a good time.

I use GPO for the orchestra, with a Yamaha So8, Fender Strat & Tele and a Fender P-Bass.

I also do all the recording, mixing and mastering so I can get the sound I want.

Did I mention BEER?
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

I did not try K3 but I think one of the best sample-workstation (to avoid the word sampler as some might have their own opinion about this) is Yellowtools Independence.
    However, as it cannot import foreign formats the use it a but limited. I use Keymap for sample mapping and so I would need exs-import.

Kontakt is quite good though and I think there is not really a way around it. HALion is a great concept and has the most powerful and design-friendly architecture for its programs, but it feels a little bit slow. EXS is quite good - especially fast and efficient - but the sound quality (with the same samples) is not up with Kontakt or Independence (which sound pretty good).

It would be great of more devs would support Independence IMHO.

best

Thumbs up Re: What's your prefered software sampler?

NI Kontakt 3
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Go Back to forum