• Register
  • Help

Topic: Semi-OT: flat speakers ~20 nm thick

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Semi-OT: flat speakers ~20 nm thick

A recent article in Nano Letters (L. Xiao et al., Nano Lett (2008) ) describes how the authors discovered that a thin film of carbon nanotubes produces sound. The film is very thin (several 10s of nanometers thick, i.e., less than a millionth of a meter thick), flexible, stretchable, and transparent. To make a speaker, just attach electrodes to each end! They obtained sound pressure levels comparable to commercial, conventional speakers (about 95 dB from ~3 W input power).

Strangely, the film itself does not vibrate. The authors believe that the sound is generated by directly heating the air. They also speculate that the film will be useful for making microspeakers, applying it to clothing, etc.

Enjoy!

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Re: Semi-OT: flat speakers ~20 nm thick

Simply amazing. I can easily see dozens of practical applications right off the bat. Wouldn't it be amazing if they could also reproduce high quality audio through such thin film? No more huge monitors taking up space and heating up the room!

Just the fact that someone thought through heating air to produce sound instead of vibrating material is amazing to me. Talk about a paradigm shift!

Thanks for sharing!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by GDG View Post

Strangely, the film itself does not vibrate. The authors believe that the sound is generated by directly heating the air. They also speculate that the film will be useful for making microspeakers, applying it to clothing, etc.

Enjoy!

Grant
    So, in the future we can wear our ARIA player instead of installing it.
    Should we iron it after washing?

Raymond

Lightbulb Re: Semi-OT: flat speakers ~20 nm thick

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Simply amazing. I can easily see dozens of practical applications right off the bat. Wouldn't it be amazing if they could also reproduce high quality audio through such thin film? No more huge monitors taking up space and heating up the room!

Just the fact that someone thought through heating air to produce sound instead of vibrating material is amazing to me. Talk about a paradigm shift!

Thanks for sharing!

-Kevin
    Apparently, the films are fairly high quality/low distortion over most of the audible range (they start to distort in the low frequency range, alas).

Imagine if they can put this into a projector screen for home theater. The center speaker could be truly center.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    Imagine if they can put this into a projector screen for home theater. The center speaker could be truly center.
    One of their demonstrations involved mounting the film over an iPod screen...

Go Back to forum