• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The Latest Update from Garritan

Share/Bookmark

The Latest Update from Garritan

From time to time we post our Updates to the Updates in which we let our users and forum members know what's been going on with our company. Some of you may be wondering why it has been so long since the last Update. Usually I write about upcoming products, courses, contests and plans. This time the news will be different.

The economic news lately has been grim, almost surreal and unprecedented. Tough times are all around. Bank failures, bailouts, pillars of finance going bust, food prices soaring, oil skyrocketing and then crashing, record foreclosures, homes under water, unemployment up, jobs in jeopardy, retirements halved, retail sales down, businesses going under, countries in distress and people cutting back on expenditures. The music industry has also suffered with the demise of Giga products, and Avid and Mackie restructuring, and many music stores going out of business. All this is affecting the sample and software instrument industry too. We, along with everyone else, are feeling the effects and we too have to make some tough decisions. We saw difficult times coming some time ago and have been preparing for tougher economic times. Let me tell what we have been doing to improve our chances of weathering this storm.

A while ago we made the decision to focus on partnering and bundling our new ARIA player and sounds with other company's products. We have partnered with Finale (MakeMusic), SONY, AKAI, Sibelius, Cakewalk and are working with a number of other companies (some of them very significant and will be announced soon). Building our business with partners makes good sense We undertook this strategy for several reasons.

Providing bundled sounds and/or player provides a reliable revenue stream. This assures a sustained income and makes us less reliable on retail sales. We've also partnered with educational institutions. These arrangements will allow us to fund our ongoing development and carry us through any downturns in retail sales.

We have had industry experts put our ARIA player through the crucible of intense scrutiny. Some of the best brains in audio and music software have thoroughly tested, examined, probed, prodded, stressed, re-tested, and improved upon the ARIA player. Coming out with a new sampler is no easy task. It makes sense to have engineers and Q&A departments thoroughly test rather than make customers unwitting beta testers. Partnering has resulted in a much better and stable engine and some innovations.

The Road Ahead: It may be an uncertain road ahead, but we'll all get through this. With a thoroughly tested player and guaranteed revenue, we're turning our focus back to software instrument development tp produce compelling products. Personal Orchestra ARIA, Jazz Big Band ARIA, Concert & Marching Band ARIA, Steinway Basic, new Steinway versions, Orchestral Strings 2, World Instruments, General MIDI, Choir, Concert Organ and downloadable instruments. Some are near completion and will be tested and then released (no exact dates yet). We have some new partnerships and other things we're working on that will be announced in due course.

With all of these things in mind, I hope things go well not only for us, but for all of you.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Re: The Latest Update from Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    (no exact dates yet).
    Gary?

What do you mean NO EXACT dates yet?

I would expect to see something like "next Tuesday", not "no exact dates". Even a "tentative release", or "release dates pending" would be better, but "no exact dates"?

I'm thoroughly dissapointed!

(LOL) (Joking of course)

Good to know that things are working out for the Garritan industries and the bundling idea seems to be working out great. Looking forward to hearing about the big bundles to come!

Sometimes joining other companies and collaborating helps both entities.

Back in 2004, I started using an Apple computer for recording and mixing music for my clients. Shortly thereafter, I had the sudden urge to learn midi. Had it not been for GPO and it's very affordable price, I would not be where I am today...."where is that?" you may ask,

same place,
    but now I have the tools to make music for the first time in my life.

I for one, wish Gary and all of his associates continued success!

THANK YOU GARY!

Dan

Thanks for the update. And I'm glad to see that you guys are doing so well over there in Garritan Land.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hello Gary,

Thanks for your update. I'm really pleased that your company is doing well in these difficult times.

I'm really looking forward to more of your products when they're available.

Best wishes,
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I am not quite sure how people are reading into this that you are doing well. It seems to me more that you are heaving a sigh of relief about finally getting to the bottom of the new world that is releasing a software product (as opposed to a library). So Congratulations for that, and congratulations for having the wisdom to build relationships that will help you weather the storm. There is no point in being sanguine when things are tempestuous.

The exchange rate has certainly made it more difficult for those in Europe and Australia over the past month or two. Which seems strange given that so much of the economic pain seems to be emanating from the United States.

Good luck with the road ahead. Now that you are able to start re-focusing on the things that are core to your business, ie sample libraries, hopefully the new products will inject a new lease of life for you. You certainly deserve it.

Thank you very much for this post, Gary.

It was sobering, honestly told in your inimitable style of staying transparent with your user base, and it was good that there were still some tones of hope you passed on to us, as your company shifts to maintain some footing on these suddenly slippery slopes we're all in.

Bravo to you for a forthright update. I couldn't be more heart felt in wishing you the best of possible successes in this suddenly much more difficult world.

Randy B.

Gary, is this the update of the update from the update that was updated by an update for an update you updated when I was sedated during the update which was updated when updates updated the updates?

And yes DPDan, I agree even though I no longer pursue that route. I agree and many here probably do as well. However, I still don't understand which update Gary has updated when the original update was updated by the fourth update back when updates had no dates cause all the dates where already updated?

You say that makes no sense? Let me ask you this ... why should it?

Thanks for the update Gary. You are the only company I know (audio industry or otherwise) that is willing to share such detail and future directions. They could all learn a lesson from you.

You have again demonstrated your business savvy! I am sure you are relieved to have a predictable and stable cash flow during these tough times. I now expect to see Garritan everywhere. With MIDI controllers, packaged with DAWs and more notation programs, on lunch boxes, Garritan miniatures, Garritan the video game, guest appearances on Saturday Night Live, Garritan themed bed sets for kids, Garritan sugared cereal, posters, M&M themed candies, Garritan Christmas tree decoration sets, etc., etc., etc., etc.!

As always, I wish the best for you, your company and its staff.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thanks, Gary. It is indeed good news to know that Orcas Island is not sinking into the murky depths! Hehehehe. You know that we will always be grateful for any news and updates. Onward and upward!
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast