• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Anyone using Vista to run your DAW?

Share/Bookmark

OT - Anyone using Vista to run your DAW?

Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering if anyone has a successful DAW running on a Vista based system. I'm a decently happy Macbook Pro user, but I've been set back by some major problems running a Digi 003 with my Macbook Pro, and unfortunately the problems are with the Macbook Pro's processor. I was speaking with a friend the other day about his custom built Vista desktop, and what he paid for firepower versus what I paid made me chuckle a bit. Granted, I know there are several price factors in play, like my computer being a notebook, being made by apple, and just about a year old, but I am familiar with windows systems (I had been running XP up until last year) and I know if you treat them right, they will run as smoothly as a Mac. If I can get a spectacular DAW for around $1500 with a Vista custom build, versus a decent DAW from Apple for $2500, barring that the former can run what I need, I would much rather go for the custom desktop build.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post!

Tyler

Re: OT - Anyone using Vista to run your DAW?

I'm only using mac now and have not been running Vista, only played with it some when they first came out.

If you go the OEM build it your self route, then look into Newegg, they have some good deals. A home built does not come with an operating system, but you can also get from Newegg an OEM version of Vista or Vista 64. It's the same as the over the counter versions but cost much much less.

You only have to do a few things to Vista to make it as fast and reliable (in in many cases - moreso) than XP. The counterweight is that it eats up more RAM for that same performance envelope. If you can live with that, then you'll be a pretty happy user.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    but you can also get from Newegg an OEM version of Vista or Vista 64. It's the same as the over the counter versions but cost much much less.
    With a caveat. Microsoft does not provide tech support for OEM versions. They are intended for system builders who provide the support. So, if you go the OEM route and have trouble, you have to provide your own tech support since *you* are the system builder.

By "custom build" I was assuming you'd have someone *else* build it for you - is that true? I didn't see any mention of self-build.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    With a caveat. Microsoft does not provide tech support for OEM versions. They are intended for system builders who provide the support. So, if you go the OEM route and have trouble, you have to provide your own tech support since *you* are the system builder.
    Having tried to get Microsoft support in the past, I don't think much is being given up here. I find better support on the 'net when I need it.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Having tried to get Microsoft support in the past, I don't think much is being given up here. I find better support on the 'net when I need it.

-Kevin
    ROFL, I have no doubt of that.

I'm running Vista X64 running the Intel Q6600. I've have been very happy with it. My biggest problem was getting drivers for my sound cards. I also had the ASUS MB, but it was defective. Eventually I ended up with an Intel board and all of the other side-issues (outside of the defective issue) went away as well. It's been very stable for me, and I'm probably going to dump another 4 gig of RAM in it before the end of the year.
    Pat Azzarello
    http://www.patazzarello.com

Go Back to forum