• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instrument editing question

Instrument editing question

I\'ve a basic question about instrument editing. I want to use different samples from different existing instruments to make up a new instrument. What is the best way to accomplish that? Do I have to export all the samples first (I don\'t see that existing samples can be indiviaully located)?

Re: Instrument editing question

There are different approaches to this.

One way is to export samples from within the GigaEditor.

Depending on what you are doing this can either be the easiest method to combining existing instruments or the most difficult.

I find the EASIEST way to do this is to actually do port layering withing GigaStudio and then record the output of EACH note to a wave editor.

Then cut up the wave with an auto splitter (wavelab/Sforge have this built int or use shareware)

Then let the gigaeditor wizard build an instrument or do a replace wave function withing the editor to an existing instrument.

anyhow, exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

Really...I am an Idiot

Hi King
    Which wave splitter works best for you (preserving attacks) and how do they deal with unity note Info (name convention?)
    Thanx for your advice.

I like Wavelab\'s autosplit alot. I used it alot for doing the GOS edits.

It allows you to create a list of names to export the split sections as.

or you can just split as the file with an increasing number.

There is software out there that will search an audio file for the note tuning and actually imbed it in the WAVE data. I\'m ot sure if Wavelab does this automatically, but I know it allows you to change it.

Anyhow, I like Autosplit much better than SForge\'s region split just because I know how to use it better I dunno if it would be different if I actually got to \"know\" the Sforge one

Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 02-03-2002).]

Ok, just out of curiousity, is it possible to combine the sounds of GIG files, layering them? So far I\'ve learned how to combine gig files into \"Mega-Gig\" files, and break apart larger files into smaller ones (as in the case of VOTA. 800 meg gig files when all I want is a quick \"AHHHHH\". )

Now what I\'m looking to do is to combine the actual sound files, ie a Giga-combi file. Say I wanted to add a sustained flute sound to a piano, or double up a french horn. Is there a way to do this with the editor?

- Load the files that you want to combine into GigaStudio.
    - Make sequences/parts in your sequencer that drive the sounds in Giga from different tracks. You can adjust volume and offset (etc) per track.
    - Let the sequencer play note after note.
    - Capture the result in Giga to a wave, and finally chop this thing into individual little wave files that you can then import into the GigaEditor.

Lots of work... but the result maybe worthwhile.

(credit to King who recently explained this to me in another topic).

Sod and Peter, and maybe Mark

You can \"combine\" gigs without recording the wave files. You create layers each with its own sample, and then Trigger them alll withing one Gig Instrument at the same time.

Use the \"combine Gig\" feature in the Editor to do this.

There is a tutorial somewhere out on the net that explains this pretty well. The help file may explain it as well

The idea of recorrding waves is something I do when I want to save poly count. Layers will use multiple voices, and at times (expecially layering diffeent libraries to create one Trumpet sound) its not worth losing the polyphony count. Its really a Time saver and RAM saver in GIGA it takes up more HD space tho.

I\'ll even do multiple runs with different velocities for each instrument I\'m belnding and even delay/move around attacks. so i have alternate notes I can trigger via KeySwitch or Up/Down mapping (I\'ve just thought of another awesome idea...i love posting on this forum always gives me new ones).

Also another plus side of recordingwaves/Mixing libraries and building your owninstrument is you can record predetermined expresion curves.....add EQ....Reverb....Ambience....whatever and have it in a patch ready and waiting to go.

Really...I am an Idiot

King, when\'s the last time you\'ve seen sunlight? It seems like you\'re always on.

Thanks for the advice though, I think that I might try both ways, as I\'d like to get poly count down some as well. I\'ve been seeing a peak of 159 in the last couple of things I\'ve done.

Actually i haven\'t been out of the house except to play with the dog or walk her for about 4-5 days.

been pretty busy. I usually pop on here when I\'m doing a render or doing some sort of batch convert process.

This week I\'ll be partying out tho...I hope

Really...I am an Idiot

Where is that explanation? I spent a part of the weekend working on my first instrument experiment, but ended up with problems in the instrument editor. Something about regions not being defined or something. I don\'t remember the exact message.

Anyway, following the help file for using the Instrument Wizard didn\'t solve my problems, so I\'m hoping to find a better explanation.

Go Back to forum