• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Game Composer's Review of Symphobia

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb A Game Composer's Review of Symphobia

I recently wrote a review for Music4Games of the Project SAM orchestral library Symphobia. I thought you all might like to see a review from the point of view of a composer for Video Games. The library came in real handy in the later stages of my latest project/score for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II. Here is a link to the review:
    http://www.music4games.net/Review_Display.aspx?id=175
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: A Game Composer's Review of Symphobia

Good review. Very thorough (I felt)

I too would love to see some big orchestral tutti decrescendos to go with the crescendos as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo View Post
    I recently wrote a review for Music4Games of the Project SAM orchestral library Symphobia. I thought you all might like to see a review from the point of view of a composer for Video Games. The library came in real handy in the later stages of my latest project/score for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II. Here is a link to the review:
    http://www.music4games.net/Review_Display.aspx?id=175
    Very good review, thank you.
    This is certainly on my wish list for christmas, at the very least it would be a great mock-up library but I believe it's a little more too.

Now all I have to do is come up with yet another excuse for Mrs Chalfant
    to buy into the premise that I JUST HAVE TO HAVE IT
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant View Post
    Very good review, thank you.
    This is certainly on my wish list for Christmas, at the very least it would be a great mock-up library but I believe it's a little more too.
    From the looks of your systems ("4 X Intel Core 2 Duo 3 gig sytems..."), you should be able to distribute the CPU load and make full use of the library.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Cool review man !

Btw can someone explain to me how to save clusters with the cluster gen ?
    I've been looking a long time for this but it's not working, though I follow exactly what's wriitten in the manual.

Arrow Re: A Game Composer's Review of Symphobia

Quote Originally Posted by Lixir View Post
    Cool review man !

Btw can someone explain to me how to save clusters with the cluster gen ?
    I've been looking a long time for this but it's not working, though I follow exactly what's wriitten in the manual.
    I will pass on the link to this discussion to the SAMs guys, maybe they can post an answer.

I seem to be using Symphobia more and more in my work. The Stacc's are great and powerful and the lib can be a real shortcut in particular for big blocks of good sounding orch.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Really cool review - I pretty much agree with all of it. I really hope they add decrescendos at some point, either as a downloadable addon or a free update ;D

The biggest plus for me has been the ability to quickly sketch out ideas - no worrying about loading a ton of instruments per section or no worrying about articulations and things. It's really quick to lay stuff down that you can listen to and go over in fine detail later!

Hi,

Thanks for the review! I thought it was very thorough

I've been using Garritan Instruments for a few years now and i would love to expand my library collection.
    I would just like to ask if this Software 'Symphobia' can be used to Write melody's and not just use 'pre-recorded effects'? I realise that some library's use recorded 'clips' rather than a complete spread of every note within an instrument.

I thought it best to check as it isnt always clear from the websites

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Thumbs up Re: A Game Composer's Review of Symphobia

>I would just like to ask if this Software 'Symphobia' can be used to Write melody's?<

Yes. The group performances are not phrases.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Thank you for a very nice review, Doyle.

I question pops up in my mind: can I use this library in Kontakt 4 and a 64-bit OS (I'm thinking Win 7) get access to ram above the 3 Gb limit of a 32-bit OS?

Go Back to forum