• Register
  • Help

Topic: Well, this one has undergone many changes!

Share/Bookmark

Red face Well, this one has undergone many changes!

For those of you who have been paying attention to my "Autumn" posts, you know this piece has changed many times. I did not really have a plan when I was putting this together, except to attempt to "capture" the emotions of autumn.

Well, finally, this one is finished. (There are still some tweaks I need to make, but for the most part, it's done.) I've rearranged the order (again) so the previous, but not original, first movement is now the second movement. The previous, but not original, second movement is the first movement (as it was originally). And the new portion is movement 3...

to restate that...

The original first movement is still the first movement, and the movement I created second, but decided to make the first movement at first, is now the second movement. The new portion is the final movement.

again...

The first movement written is now the first movement for the second time, and is proceeded by the second, but originally primary movement of the second arrangement of the movements. The final movement concludes the suite with the music that was composed finally.

In other words, the movements are in the order they were composed!

So, some notes about this:

Autumn: Part 1 is the first movement. It is mainly inspired from a CD I frequently listened to last fall.

Autumn: Part 2 is the 2nd and 3rd movements. Part 2 starts "pp" to give you a bit of a reference point. Both movements are based around general ideas I developed on the piano. Movement 3 starts at 1:52 of the file.

At 0:30 of Part 2 (Movement 2) there is some strange glitch and the piano seems to drop out before fading back in. Haven't quite figured this one out yet. It might occur when I convert the Finale .mus file to a WAV file, I'll have to look into it.

A concern I have about this piece is the melody introduced at 3:25 (movement 3) of Part 2. I have a really bad feeling I've heard it before, and really really hope it's original . If anyone has heard this before, and possibly knows what it is from, please tell me as soon as you can!

Well, thanks for listening, and your comments are greatly appreciated, as always!

Autumn Suite: Part 1
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6960881&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6960881&q=hi

Autumn Suite: Part 2

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7030002&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7030002&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Well, this one has undergone many changes!

Hmm, I don't recall ever hearing this before anywhere. Regardless, there is not much to say except "AWESOME"!

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post

The first movement written is now the first movement for the second time, and is proceeded by the second, but originally primary movement of the second arrangement of the movements. The final movement concludes the suite with the music that was composed finally.
    Michael

I betcha couldn't say that 3 times fast!

I also have no recognition of anything out of the third movement, so I think you are safe, but of course there is tons of music I have never heard.

Very nice piece!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Your explanation of "who is on first" puzzles me. But the music is clear enough. This is just great music, with a completely new idiom for me. In particular the opening of the first movement, I liked your handling of the instruments. Right now I am listening to the 2nd part. A bit more fragemented than the first one. But, ok.

Are there any other parts to come? I liked it.

Raymond

I enjoyed both of them very much!

They were moving and well realized.

Phil

Styxx

I'm glad you find this awesome, always great to hear something like that

Rolifer

Yeah, I kind of got carried away with myself on typing the description . I'm glad you liked it, and thanks for you comment on the final version as well as all the previous unfinished versions!

Fastlane

I'm glad you found them well realized, I usually worry that my music lacks a sense of direction or purpose...but I guess that's not always a bad thing!

Thanks everyone for your comment, and I seem to have found what I was looking for. The other day at work I was humming the melody that I mentioned in the third movement. Tweaking it a bit, I suddenly realized (my heart must've skipped a beat) that this melody is strikingly similar to Jeremy Soule's Elder Scrolls Theme. The first 3 bars of my melody are somewhat similar to this one. The main difference (if I remember correctly) is Soule's melody repeats the last note of the previous segment...

Where mine goes: C D Eb, D Eb F, Eb F G, Eb D C
    Soule's goes (perhaps in a different key): C D Eb, Eb F G, G Bb F...and is different from there on out...

So...I suppose they're similar, but not too terribly close, and I appologize if anyone is offended by this.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum