• Register
  • Help

Topic: Glyph or LaCie

Share/Bookmark

Glyph or LaCie

Hello all,

I'm hoping to get some quick opinions from audio/music people because I want to make a purchase today. Here in NYC a store is starting their "Black Friday" deals early. Yeah I might hunt around on the internet and find other prices (Glyph $299 for instance), but I want to walk into a store today and buy.

There are two external drives there that look good to me, both with FW800/400 / USB 2.0 ports, both 7200 rpm, both 16MB cache.

1) Glyph GT050q 500GB Quad Interface External Hard Drive. Normally $319, selling for $229 (I got this price by phone).
    2) LaCie 1TB d2 Quadra External Hard Drive. Normally $249, selling for $199.

With the Glyph at $229 and the LaCie at $199, I could consider the $30 negligible if the Glyph were the better.

The Glyph is $90 off its usual price, $70 off if you go by online prices. That's huge percentage-wise. The LaCie drops $50 bucks, which is less but not shabby. Shabbier though if you consider some onliners selling for $225.

But the Glyph has half the capacity of the LaCie. It may be a natural impulse to be space-greedy in these situations, but might the Glyph be a more preferable drive for sound apps, having Seagate SATA drive mechanism and all?

Even at the 1TB capacity, isn't it stinky that the LaCie is saddled with a 16MB cache, or is this mitigated by some other factor?

Neither is bus-powered, but I should mention that the LaCie has a wall wart adaptor. Glyph has a fan. I have a prev-gen Glyph, GT050 without the "q", and it always worked fine, quiet enough. Never owned or worked a LaCie.

Thoughts? Thank you all,
    dm
    'Sometimes I think our problem is not so much that we're supposed to have come to "the end of history" but that historians no longer have the voice or the incentive to decrypt and transcribe an understanding of the events and movements shaping our world.' --Breyten Breytenbach

Re: Glyph or LaCie

I have always bought LaCie and have not had any problems. With a few minor tools, I have also been able to update the hard drive in the enclosure. I have one of the 1TB drives, and yes, it has a fan, but it is pretty quiet, and it has a three position switch to turn it on, off, or on Auto. The Auto setting confuses me because all it does is just stay on anyway. :/

What is nice about the 1TB over a 500GB is that for a year now I have not been worried at all about working space.

For another opinion, check out this thread.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Thanks. And by the way I think I was in error about the cache. the store site listed 16MB but other sites, including LaCie's own, list a 32MB buffer for this device.

As for that link you provided, it gives pause except that it's a year old. Might they have addressed the issue / anyone having the disappearance act now?

-D
    'Sometimes I think our problem is not so much that we're supposed to have come to "the end of history" but that historians no longer have the voice or the incentive to decrypt and transcribe an understanding of the events and movements shaping our world.' --Breyten Breytenbach

Quote Originally Posted by dmecionis View Post
    As for that link you provided, it gives pause except that it's a year old. Might they have addressed the issue / anyone having the disappearance act now?
    Most likely, seeing that I have not had an issue yet, and I have used them for video production (which constantly taxes the drive). I think there were heat issues because of the aluminum enclosure, hence the adding of a small fan in the 1TB version. I chose LaCie because their enclosures are built well and behave very nicely with my Macs.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Thanks again! By the way, I've joined and posted to that thread you pointed out. You may want to check in.

Take care,
    DM

I'm not really sure if this helps, but....I've got two GT050's and they've always worked perfectly. I've been happy with them.

Well, I have been using a La Cie external usb hard drive as backup drive for at least three years. Not a hint of a problem.

Richard

Lacie Quaddras work very well for me. Plus you can get a cool rack for more than one

I've got a WD MyBook 1 TB. Bought it mostly for its eSATA hookup, and it's been working perfectly. Bout $225 if I remember correctly. If you're planning on doing any streaming audio from your external drive abd you have a SATA motherboard, it's worth a look. Data transfer rate of eSATA smokes firewire.
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

If I'm not too late...buy Glyph!
    You don't just get the drive, you get 2 years of free data recovery should anything go wrong. They are quiet, fast and since they have every port available you can daisy chain anything off of them. For $229 I would have bought at least one with no hesitation. Is the sale still good?!

You can also rack Glyphs, either side by side or 1 per 1U whichever you prefer.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum