• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Poseidon's bull

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Poseidon's bull

The god Poseidon sent a white bull to Crete by request of King Minos. The Bull was supposed to be sacrificed, but King Minos changed his mind and let it live.

Pasiphae, the king's wife fell in love with the white bull. She visited him at night and they, mated. This resulted in Queen Pasiphae giving birth to a Minotaur. It was supposed to be a secret, but Daedalus, the king's architect, charmed by the beauty of the king's daughter, Phaedra, revealed the secret of the Minotaur.

She got interested and decided to visit the Minotaur one night.
    When the giant bull saw Phaedra, he got so excited that he ran through the thick wall of the labyrinth.

Phaedra jumped up on his back and they fled to Atlantis, where they mated and gave birth to a Unicorn.

For those who are not too prudish, here is Picasso's version of it. (scroll down about 40% of the page.)

video clips here, the music is by me!

clip 1: Fred at Knossos Palace, 2004 (includes a Greek guide tour)

clip 2: Real artifacts from Knossos Palace

clip 3: documentary filmed in the ancient Roman town, Gortyn. (voice over by my wife, Louisa.)

Re: Poseidon's bull

I don't think this will be made into a movie anytime soon

I think the music was right in line with this quite "interesting" legend.

Great job!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I don't think this will be made into a movie anytime soon

I think the music was right in line with this quite "interesting" legend.

Great job!

Phil
    Hi Phil,

This story was inspired by my visit to Crete in 2004 where I saw the Palace of Knossos.

In the original story, the Minotaur is killed by a Greek hero, Theseus.

I didn't want to have any bloodshed in my version of the story, so I decided to let the bull escape with one of the daughters of king Minos.

Thanks for lending an ear!

Fred

This is quite different and quite nice! The music seems to fit the narrative that is spoken throughout the piece. Curious. A couple of questions. Is this a score to a film. If so, can we see the film/video? Although, I must say that it seems fine just as it is (with no film and nothing but the narrative, music and our imaginations to "watch" the story). Also, is the narrative 100% synthesized or did you modulate your voice (or someone's voice)? Either way, what did you do to achieve that sound?

Nice job, and thank you for sharing.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    This is quite different and quite nice! The music seems to fit the narrative that is spoken throughout the piece. Curious. A couple of questions. Is this a score to a film. If so, can we see the film/video? Although, I must say that it seems fine just as it is (with no film and nothing but the narrative, music and our imaginations to "watch" the story). Also, is the narrative 100% synthesized or did you modulate your voice (or someone's voice)? Either way, what did you do to achieve that sound?

Nice job, and thank you for sharing.

Ted
    Hi again, Ted!

Glad you enjoyed my journey, traveling to Crete through my mind, lol!

In my story I decided to not kill the bull. I don't like this odd tradition that they had at that time, or still have! Think of all the bulls that are killed in Spain every year! Unfortunately this is an old tradition that goes back all the way to the older cultures!
    So much sacrifice and blood! In India the bulls are sacred!

I'm actually about to edit my videos that I filmed during my trip to Knossos and the old Roman town Gortyn in the southern part of Crete. This island is so fascinating! There are several interesting myths related to this island, which is also supposed to be the place from where European civilization started. The Minoan culture.

Yes! I will soon upload my own movie on youtube called "Zeus and Europa" Another of my storymusic adventures combined with GPO orchestrated epic moments. But with video this time!

The voice software I use is called "Coolspeech!" It can be manipulated with pitch and speed features. That's why it sounds so real, lol!
    One thing that was especially fun was to do the minotaur smashing the labyrinth wall. I mixed 4 separate waves tracks in my virtual studio.

Here clip 1: Fred at Knossos Palace, 2004 (includes a Greek guide tour)

videos here: (the music is by me. composed 1985.)

clip 2: Real artifacts from Knossos Palace

clip 3: documentary filmed in the ancient Roman town, Gortyn. (voice over by my wife, Louisa.)

Thanks for your inspiration! I prefer alive bulls like Picasso, lol! Fred

Fredrik:

Great story and music to go with it. The computer
    narration was a real kick............lol

It's amazing how the process you used could be
    adapted to stories for children of all ages. They
    would be entranced with your productions.

BRAVO

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

It seems like a documentary passage, i enjoyed listening it. It would fit perfectly in a History Channel production. I find the ambientation and style very coherent with the time period: epic, ancient and solemn. Good job!

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Fredrik:

Great story and music to go with it. The computer
    narration was a real kick............lol

It's amazing how the process you used could be
    adapted to stories for children of all ages. They
    would be entranced with your productions.

BRAVO,

Jack
    You really got a point there, Jack!

I look at the world with a child's eye when I wite my stories!

When I was a kid, Tintin was my hero! Then came Jimi Hendrix when I became a teenager, lol! Fred

Quote Originally Posted by mrkeyboard View Post
    It seems like a documentary passage, i enjoyed listening it. It would fit perfectly in a History Channel production. I find the ambientation and style very coherent with the time period: epic, ancient and solemn. Good job!

Victor
    Hi Victor,

Glad you could feel the epic excitement of the ancient Minoan drama!

The memories of Crete and the story of the Minotaur kept haunting me for years after I had visited the Knossos Palace.
    I could never forget the legend of Daydalus' mysterious labyrinth!

Thanks for your inspiration!

Fred

Bonjour Frederik,

Très sympa cette production. Il me semble reconnaitre une citation d'un morceau grec antique est-ce le premier Hymne delphique à Apollon?

Hi Frederik,
    Very nice work. There seems to me be a quotation of the antique Greek music, is it the first Delphic Hymn to Apollo?

Thierry (la fronde).

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast