• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "The Dinner" (Orchestral Piece)

"The Dinner" (Orchestral Piece)

Hello -

This is the third "movement" to my first (ever written) suite, titled "Musical Sweet". The name of this movement is The Dinner .

I purposefully "wrote" this in contrast to the first two "movements" of this collection of compositions. Actually, with the exception of the main melody and chord progressions, I didn't write anything down at all. Why?? Time! This collection of compositions is my 2008 Holiday Gift for my friends and family. There's still one more "movement" that I would like to add to this "Musical Suite (Sweet)". There's less than 1 month 'till Christmas! YIKES!!

I had the very basics of this composition worked out in my head. And, for good or for bad, that's how I composed and sequenced this piece. . . from my head. I must say that I think I can compose and orchestrate more "complicated" stuff when I do put pencil to manuscript paper. As I continue to exercise my compositional muscles, I'm finding out that I need to SEE the musical possibilities as well as hear them. But not this piece. This piece is strictly from the head to the keyboard to the sequencer. I must say, though, that the first 4 measures of the main melody has HAUNTED me for the past few weeks. I developed the second 4 measures of the main melody so that it can work in counterpoint to the first four. It's a simple round of sorts. And those first four measures of the melody (which I think you'll hear distinctly) has been haunting me, I tell you! LOL!

So. . . This composition is what it is. It's a done deal, simpleness and all. However, I would appreciate any thoughtful comments on the overall mix. What's too loud in the mix? What's too soft in the mix? How does the MP3 file itself sound? It sounds different than the master AIFF sound file. I'm using a different program to generate the MP3 file than what I would normally use. For this piece, I used Peak Pro XT 6 by BIAS. I'm used to using the Wavelab program by Steinberg for "mastering" and generating MP3 files. I think I might experiment with the settings that Peak Pro XT 6 uses to make its MP3 files. It sounds almost too different than the AIFF file. But, right now, I'm too tired to give a constructive listen. I need to rest my ears (and weary head. . . I worked last night).

Anyway. . . enjoy The Dinner Hope it doesn't give you too much heartburn! LOL!

And as always. . . Happy Composing, Folks!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: "The Dinner" (Orchestral Piece)

Well Ted, I think the mix is wonerful. The piece is quiet and reflective. The depth of field and the clarity of the instruments works great. In my limited experience with trying to achieve 'reality' in rendering, I feel you have succeeded well. This could be truely a real orchestra!

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Central Illinois

Ted, I have just partaken of "The Dinner" and have found it very satisfying.
    I agree with Wrayer about the mix. Everything seems well balanced to me.
    I especially enjoyed the beginning when the horn first comes in. Very nicely done, congratulations on some good work. Regards, John (bigears)

Shelton, Washington State

This is real nice. There is a real playfulness to it. I can hear some different genres mixed together which create a rather rich meal.

I think the mix is very good and I like the instrument choices also.

Great job on this one!

Love the way this one starts out.

The harp sounds great.

You have some real nice counterpoint in this.

Some real neat twists and turns as well.

Great job.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Dallas, Texas

Tasty and possibly an aid to digestion, but known to the state of california as a cancerous infestation to rap. keep up the good work.

Go easy,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

An excellent addition to your former movements, i like the orchestration and there are some progressions that results to me very interesting. There is a good use of the percussion and i like the work with the harp too, it adds a subtle and gentle touch. The melodic sense is very pleasant too.

The piece is really great. Good ideas and great
    orchestrating. I, too, like the harp parts. Really
    adds pizzazz to whatever it precedes.

The mix sounds really good. I think you have discovered
    something using Wavelab for the Mp3. Everything is
    in place and the instruments sound individually, but
    collectively placed as well.

"Check please."...............lol

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thank you very much, folks, for taking the time to listen to this piece dedicated to culinary delights. I am happy to read that the overall placement of the instruments and the overall balance is in good order. I do my own "panning" of each instrument as well as set the reverb levels for each instrumental section (wood winds, brass, strings, etc.). It's all part of that creative process which I enjoy doing.

Gonna start working on the the fourth and final movement to this simple "Musical Sweet". This last movement will definitely involve putting the old "Pencil to Manuscript Paper". (And hopefully I can get it done within the next week or two. )

Warm regards to you all!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

That is a delightful piece of music, Theodore! Very tasteful use of all of the instruments (pun intended).

This is an imaginative creation that I enjoyed very much. Your percussion was juuuusssstttt right. Great work!

My Best,

Larry G. Alexander

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast