• Register
  • Help

Topic: Good Violin Solos To Help Learn Better Technique with Strad

Share/Bookmark

Good Violin Solos To Help Learn Better Technique with Strad

Greetings,
    I keep using the Strad and practicing to get good technique, but alas this piano player just ain't gettin' it. I listen to the likes of KeithJFuller who does such an outstanding job with Strad and Gro and realize that the problem is not with the tool, but with the wielder of the tool. So, I need to find some good violin solos that I can record onto a track in Digital Performer and then play along with to improve my technique. Can anyone recommend some pieces? I would rather that they not be too difficult as I don't need to practice flying through runs. Rather, I want pieces that will teach me how to bring out the personality of the instrument.

Thanks!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Good Violin Solos To Help Learn Better Technique with Strad

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Greetings,
    I keep using the Strad and practicing to get good technique, but alas this piano player just ain't gettin' it. I listen to the likes of KeithJFuller who does such an outstanding job with Strad and Gro and realize that the problem is not with the tool, but with the wielder of the tool. So, I need to find some good violin solos that I can record onto a track in Digital Performer and then play along with to improve my technique. Can anyone recommend some pieces? I would rather that they not be too difficult as I don't need to practice flying through runs. Rather, I want pieces that will teach me how to bring out the personality of the instrument.

Thanks!

-Kevin
    Hi Kevin!

Im not an expert on violins but i have to say if your looking to add emotion and personality then i suggest you have a look at the theme from 'Schindler's list' by John Williams. Its just a fantastic piece and it really needs personality. A great piece for your needs i think

If not good luck in finding a nice piece

Dan. (im just a brass player but it was worth a shot)
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

The sound track from "The Red Violin" is very good.
    Very warm sound and very emotional and expressive.

Paganini's Cantabile in D maj. Or, very simple but needs bags of expression, the Bach-Gounod Ave Maria. Kreisler's arrangement of the Old Refrain is good for double stopping. All of this music except the Paganini can be be bought for about 2 or 3 dollars each from the www.everynote.com site. You can check out good performances of all these pieces on You Tube.

Thanks for thinking I know what I'm doing. I would suggest that you listen to styles you are trying to emulate. If you want a classical sound there have been good suggestions made by dermod. If you want a cinematic sound listen to things like the patriot. I've noticed when solo strings are used in the movies they are much louder and up front than a traditional orchestra. They usually have much less vibrato also - this is probably because you'd notice the individual instrument too much and it would take away from the video. This is not always the case though. Many movies give a more traditional sound to the solo strings.

I'm in an airport writing this on my iPhone so I can't write too much, but if you have more questions I'll be happy to post more when I get back to a proper computer.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to download each of these and start playing along this afternoon. I'll be posting results with pieces later and you can judge whether the practice paid off or not.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

My favorite has always been the Theme from Schindler's List by the incomparable Itzhak Perlman. What a treasure the composer, the composition, the soloist and the movie are to our generation.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Go Back to forum