• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yamaha P250 and Yamaha Nocturne

Share/Bookmark

Yamaha P250 and Yamaha Nocturne

I played the newish Yamaha Nocturne for about thirty minutes at Sam Ash today and really liked it, but I wished they had a P250 that I could have compared it with. Then I went home and looked up the P250, and found that a lot of stores don't seem to carry it at all. Is the P250 a thing of the past, replaced by the CP line? Or by the Nocturne? I guess I'm confused--the P250 had a great sound, but it was only out there for two years or so? And now the Nocturne has a good sound, but it doesn't seem to allow much control---a good action and good sound, but no buttons or screen, yet it's around 2k--about the same price as the P250? (Maybe it's meant as just a good home piano thing, in which case it's a very good one.) If so, is the CP series a logical continuation from the P250? The same controls? I've only listened to one or two, and in loud stores. I remember not liking the sound, actually. Was I just in a hurry, or has Yamaha gone in a really different direction, now?

Re: Yamaha P250 and Yamaha Nocturne

cp300 is the continuation of p250. p250 has been discontinued. I have the p250, but never use the internal sounds anymore since its limited velocity layers start to sound quite obvious after a while. cp300 also suffers the same (or similar) architectural limitations. I guess it might not be too important if you perform live in a band, etc.

I've played with the cp300 a bit.. all I can say about the sound is that although I hear some differences, they're both still in the same vein. Also, the controls are very similar with p250, I actually didn't notice any changes during my limited time with cp300. But I'm sure there are if you compare the manuals.

Hm...After doing the research I should have done before posting, I see that there's more info than I thought about the CP300. And that there's a CP-33, which may have been what I played. Sorry to hear that the velocity layers became obvious after using the P-250 for a while. I remember liking the sound. The Noturne I played didn't seem to have a lot of layers--the usual problems with soft strikes sound like low-volume hard strikes--but it played well and sounded good. Great action and a very believable sound. It may just be a CP300 without the controls (and the same price???). Regardless, I'm not sure I understand why Yamaha added the "C" to the front of the name, since it would throw off anyone looking for information about what came after the P-250.

ya, I thought the same thing too, about the naming. I could care less what a keyboard is named, but still. Turns out that CP is the name Yamaha used to use for an earlier keyboard series, and now they're supposedly going back to add to that series. Who cares eh? Seems it's more of a marketing gimmick. All the "keeping with the tradition" crap.

Sounds to me they just needed a new model out, so took the p250, sprinkled some salt on it.... and since they couldn't call it p255, they just went ahead and bumped the number up to 300, and stuck it together with the legacy of the cp series... Unfortunately, only a demographic of above a certain age has even heard of the CP series so the legacy doesn't really carry across.. at least it didn't work for me. I was like, eh? It's a very good keyboard nonetheless, but within the series, CP300 is just in a strange place I think.

I think the CP300 is a vast improvement over the P-200 and P250.
    The 5 band graphic eq always at your fingertips; the full enhanced GM soundset, the fantastic speakers - it's really a 'wow' instrument.

Enough to make me buy one (used, I admit, at a price I couldn't refuse.)

Its layering and split functions, its effect assignment capabilities, a pitch-
    bend wheel are all great features.

But most of all, it just says "PLAY ME!" There's a baby grand upstairs, but
    when my gf watches tv near it, I'm just as capable of expressing myself
    musically on the CP 300 in the bedroom. It's a joy and a friend.

PS. I don't work for Yamaha, although it sounds like I do lol.
    PS2. I really like the Roland V-Piano too, but it's very expensive.
    The piano on the Yamaha s90xs is supposed to be better, but not for me.
    And it doesn't have the speakers - hence there's no 'vibration' feedback,
    which always (especially on the CP 300) adds so much realism to the experience.

Here,by way of contrast, from Yamaha's web literature:

Yamaha's newer CP1
    A premium instrument with a commitment to tradition and innovation

My beloved Yamaha CP300
    Giving the live performer all the sound and expressiveness of a superbly mic'd grand piano

Yamaha P250 (from 2003)
    Upgrades Include Expanded Performance Memories, Three-Layer Piano Sample

<hope this helps>

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson View Post
    I played the newish Yamaha Nocturne for about thirty minutes at Sam Ash today and really liked it, but I wished they had a P250 that I could have compared it with. Then I went home and looked up the P250, and found that a lot of stores don't seem to carry it at all. Is the P250 a thing of the past, replaced by the CP line? Or by the Nocturne? I guess I'm confused--the P250 had a great sound, but it was only out there for two years or so? And now the Nocturne has a good sound, but it doesn't seem to allow much control---a good action and good sound, but no buttons or screen, yet it's around 2k--about the same price as the P250? (Maybe it's meant as just a good home piano thing, in which case it's a very good one.) If so, is the CP series a logical continuation from the P250? The same controls? I've only listened to one or two, and in loud stores. I remember not liking the sound, actually. Was I just in a hurry, or has Yamaha gone in a really different direction, now?
    Yamaha came out with the CP300 while the P250 was still shipping, but I think the P250 is now officially discontinued. This is pretty typical of Yamaha...they annouce a new product, and quietly discontinue the product it is replacing but offer them both as new products for a short period of time.

I love them both. For some reason, I find the P250 has a bit more of a bite that works well in live situations with other instruments. The CP300 seems to be more accurate however. Side by side, it's often hard to tell the difference, but after you play both, small differences begin to surface. The CP300 has some nice features too not found on the P250 such as XLR outs, an easy to get to transpose button (you have to go through menus to get to the P250's transpose), and the internal speaker on/off switch on the front panel. The Eq on the P250 is good, the one on the P300 is excellent. Reverb seems more realistic on the CP300 as well.

There might be a few new P250s out there, but for my money, I'd go with the CP300.

The Yamaha P250 incorporates a highly accurate reproduction of sound and feel of an acoustic piano. Proprietary Dynamic Stereo Sampling features three Yamaha piano CFIIIS samples at different levels of the canopy.

Go Back to forum