• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

gigastudio

My old PC died and I'm building a new one. I'm thinking of making it a screaming 64 bit machine to run the PLAY libraries and also gigastudio.

Does anyone know if you can run GS3 on a 64 bit machine? and also, I will need to get a new audio card that has 64 bit drivers. Any Ideas?

On the audio card, I really need to have adat don't really care about analog in and out as i'm going to run the audio over to my mac and into Cubase 4 and I have a good motu sound card on that machine.

Thanks for any help

giga...

Re: gigastudio

Hi Giga,

GS3 runs on 64 bit hardware ( CPU) if it's that what you mean too, BUT it won't
    run on a 64 bit OS. I tried to install it just out of curiosity on my XP 64 Bit partition and it will not let you to install it.

It seems you will need to upgrade to GS4 for that matter.

Also you will need GSIF 2.1 drivers as these are 64 Bit compatible ( GSIF2 is not).
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

XP and Vista 64-bit support was the major feature added in GigaStudio 4. You should be able to find a GS3-GS4 upgrade version pretty cheap. Call a local dealer, I'll bet they'll be delighted to sell one to you for their cost. I've successfully hosted PLAY (Stormdrum 2) on my machine in GS4 at 64-bit. You'll need a compatible soundcard, though. The only 64-bit cards I know to work in GS4 are RME and Tascam.

What about GVI? Was Vista 64 support added to GVI 4? If so, is it still possible to purchase it somewhere?

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
    What about GVI? Was Vista 64 support added to GVI 4? If so, is it still possible to purchase it somewhere?

GVI4 was never released

Belbin

Has GVI been discontinued too? Pardon my ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Sarobin View Post
    Has GVI been discontinued too? Pardon my ignorance
    Yes, all Giga-related products are discontinued. However, if you search the legacy products section of their homepage, you can still find the release notes for various GVI updates under the "resources" tab for GVI...one of these (maybe GVI 3.63) has something about 64-bit compatibility....I think it's there for both XP64 and Vista 64.

Regards,
    Belbin

I know the GS on a laptop question has been discussed here before, but since it was a while ago, technology has changed and I’m just now getting around to getting a laptop, I thought I’d check and see what current thoughts are on the subject. I’d like to use the laptop for composing on the road, but also for hooking up to a midi keyboard to trigger samples in live performance. I have GS3 on my DAW at home and also run GVI and Kontakt/GPO as plug-ins through Sibelius on it. What is my best bet on doing this on a laptop? I don’t have a big budget for this so I’m looking into a couple of Dells that have Intel Core 2 Duo processors in them (one is P8400 with 2.2GHz/1066Mhz/3MB cache and the other is T9500 with 2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache). Both systems have 4GB of RAM and a 7200 rpm HD so I would think that they would have enough muscle to run GS3. My concern is that they both come with Vista Home Premium pre-installed and I see that GS3 won’t run on Vista. Should I:

1) Uninstall Vista and install XP? Or…
    2) Stay with Vista and upgrade to GS4?

I guess I’m trying to figure out what OS would be the most compatible for all of the programs (GS, Sibelius, Kontakt/GPO and GVI, though GS would not be running at the same time as the others).

And does anyone have any advice on what I can do about getting a GSIF-compatible soundcard that I could use with GigaStudio on a Dell laptop?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Brad

My advice on the laptop issue would be to find one that installs XP instead of Vista but also charges a reasonable price and knows what they are doing.

I'm sure there are several good ones that fit that description. The first one that comes to mind is ADK Pro Audio.

Go with GVI. It will probably be the safest bet.

Go Back to forum