• Register
  • Help

Topic: using woodwinds with solo strings

Share/Bookmark

using woodwinds with solo strings

I use Sibelius through GPO - I purchased GPO as a standalone, then purchased the sibelius "crossgrade". I am up to date with Sibelius 5.25. I have begun a piece for string quartet, flute, and english horn, and the attack on the solo strings is very delayed. so when the winds, the attack of which is not delayed, play with the strings, it sounds ridiculous. Is there anything i can do?

Re: using woodwinds with solo strings

Quote Originally Posted by rsratner View Post
    I use Sibelius through GPO - I purchased GPO as a standalone, then purchased the sibelius "crossgrade". I am up to date with Sibelius 5.25. I have begun a piece for string quartet, flute, and english horn, and the attack on the solo strings is very delayed. so when the winds, the attack of which is not delayed, play with the strings, it sounds ridiculous. Is there anything i can do?
    With my sequencer (Sonar) I can highlight the offending track and move it back and forth in time to match up with the other tracks. In Sonar the function is called "Slide". Check to see if you have something like that in Sibelius.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

larry gave you very good advice. if you have a piano roll you can do this manually also by doing a "ctrl - a" on the track then zooming in all the way and drag the notes forward a smujde (don't know if that's how you spell it).

I have to do this a lot because i often times make my own percussion samples and when i tune them all the way down it sometimes magnifyies the almost non-existent pause in the audio sample before the "hit."

I'm not sure why GPO is doing this though. I have a feeling it might be a computer issue and not the samples because i've used GPO for a while now and have never experienced that. what sort of computer do you have, because i know there are people here who could explain how to fix it if indeed it can be fixed?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

This happens in Finale as well. I usually fix it by increasing the attack value in my playback settings. I'm not sure how you get there in Sibelius, but Finale has a feature called Human Playback, and you can enter into a menu to set parameters for playback, and there is a section with specific GPO options. I'm sure Sibelius has something similar if not identical. If not Perhaps there's a playback settings menu somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    This happens in Finale as well. I usually fix it by increasing the attack value in my playback settings. I'm not sure how you get there in Sibelius, but Finale has a feature called Human Playback, and you can enter into a menu to set parameters for playback, and there is a section with specific GPO options. I'm sure Sibelius has something similar if not identical. If not Perhaps there's a playback settings menu somewhere?
    Thank you, yes, I have done it in Sibelius and it does work fine. It's just kiind of strange that no one thought of this when they decided to delay the attack of the solo strings in such a big way.

Thank you, yes, I have done it in Sibelius and it does work fine. It's just kiind of strange that no one thought of this when they decided to delay the attack of the solo strings in such a big way.
    Good! I'm glad that works. It is a little strange, but at least it's fixable . Also, make sure you are using the notation versions of the patches. Those are designed to work better in notation programs.

Take care,
    Tyler

[QUOTE=Sonare Coeli;596739]Good! I'm glad that works. It is a little strange, but at least it's fixable . Also, make sure you are using the notation versions of the patches. Those are designed to work better in notation programs.

I have no clue what version I am using. How do I tell? If they are the wrong version, how do I change them?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=jjloving;596766]The notation version of the sounds are used by default with the GPO Sound Set for Sib 5.

For future reference, open Kontakt Player 2 and take note of the patch names Sibelius has loaded. Instruments programmed for notation have an "n" in front of them (i.e. "N-Alto Flute Pla 1").

Thank you, yes, my patches have an N.

If selecting sounds manually (which you shouldn't need to do in Sib)

That's what they say, but i have always had to select the instruments manually. The ones sib chooses are invariably not ideal.

instruments programmed for notation can be found by selecting the "Instruments" drop down menu (in Kontakt Player's browser) and then selecting the folder "9. Notation".

whats the difference with the notation samples? do they just do keyswitches and cc data based on musical symbols and old italian sayings?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    A few things - but not so much the old Italian terms

with the notation instruments the "Legato mode" or "Legato layer" is triggered with CC68 rather than CC64, and CC64 is therefore only used by instruments that normally use a sustain pedal.

The KS are different, they have all been moved to the bottom octave for consistency, and to keep them out of the way of the actual notated notes.

As for italian sayings, these are handled by the application itself. In Sibelius, a Sound Set (.xml/text file) assigns a certain value to each KS note and patch in the library. For example, a pizzicato KS note would be specified as +pizzicato in the sound set, and in the Sibelius playback dictionary the word "pizzicato" is set to change the sound by adding "+pizzicato". When Sibelius sees the text entry it then searches the sound set for "+pizzicato" and ativates that KS automatically.

I have no idea how Finale handles this.

Jon
    I do not know the inner workings of how Finale handles it, but if you choose the predefined "pizz" expression, along with several others, it will trigger the switch. So, it has the same result.

Go Back to forum