• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strolling Downtown on a Foggy Sunday Afternoon

Share/Bookmark

Strolling Downtown on a Foggy Sunday Afternoon

The piece depicts scenes and thoughts on a stroll when the fog makes familiar sights appear mystical and one's imagination runs to fantasy. There is a little traffic with cars creeping along, a few other pedestrians, some stores lighted and open - mostly one is alone with one's thoughts.

It is a serial 12-tone piece with rotation. That is, when all 12 tones are used, the cycle can be started at a different point. The row is the same as the one Berg used in his violin concerto: G, Bb, D, F#, A, C, E, G#, B, C#, Eb, F. This interesting row allows tonal harmonies to appear.

Unless I have made a mistake the serial rule is followed thoughout. The piece opens with the row in retrograde order.

The mp3 is here

The ensemble is a sextet: flute, bassoon, horn, two violins and viola. I started this as a quartet without the horn and second violin - the horn adds texture and smoothness. The instruments are GPO.

Edit: a less dry version uploaded

Herb

Re: Strolling Downtown on a Foggy Sunday Afternoon

I think you have accomplished the feeling you talk about. It did seem mystical and a little confusing in a way.

The music takes you to an interesting place.

I think it could use some verb because it sounded totally dry. Maybe that is what you wanted for the mood.

It was well done.

Herb

Great tune.

I know you don't like much reverb, but this one is very dry. Perhaps a bit would give it a better feel.

I will get to the others as soon as I can. Busy busy busy.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I think you have accomplished the feeling you talk about. It did seem mystical and a little confusing in a way.

The music takes you to an interesting place.

I think it could use some verb because it sounded totally dry. Maybe that is what you wanted for the mood.

It was well done.
    Thanks for commenting.

Yes, you are correct - it is very dry. My mistake, I meant to add more reverb to the final product but I got distracted by some computer problems. I have just uploaded a less dry version.

Ron,

Thanks for listening. I agree - much too dry. I can see by the times that you heard the super-dry version and not the wetter revised one.

I'm not sure why I missed this - again. I do like to have a fairly dry version for composing so the parts are clear but that isn't the best sound for a listener.

Herb

Herb -

Nice work with the composition. You're right. After listening to this piece, I can see (hear) how this particular order of the 12 tones can offer some tonal harmonies to appear. I appreciate your beginning paragraph as you describe the scene on a "foggy Sunday afternoon". Your composition seems to compliment the scene.

I appreciate you sharing this composition! I enjoyed the listen. Thanks!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Ted

Thanks for listening and commenting.

I was trying to capture a mood and avoid the randomness that atonal pieces can exhibit. Possibly a less strict observance of the serial 12-tone rule would allow more flexibility - but I wanted to try a piece with no bending of the rules.

As an afterthought, morning might have been a better time as we had a light fog here this morning but the sun soon burnt it off.

Herb

I thought that row sounded familiar... lol -- started
    listening before I read your comments, Herb.

I do have a certain predisposition for twelve-tone
    and other serial work; but that aside, I found this
    quite a satisfying listen... very creative and effective
    management of serial techniques -- which, of course,
    was the genius of Berg, too: despite the highly technical
    undercarriage, the music retained an essential beauty.

Well done!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum