• Register
  • Help

Topic: "save as..." Is greyed out in Safari ???

Share/Bookmark

Question "save as..." Is greyed out in Safari ???

When i go to the Christmas music page, and click on any of the mp3s, they open and begin to play in a separate window (like normal), but the "save as..." is grayed out, preventing me from saving the file.

It is like that for any music or midi file.

In the sharing folder, in preferences, is there a box i need to check in sharing or firewall, to allow the saving of music files??

It is on a pre-intel mac powerbook g4.

David

Re: "save as..." Is greyed out in Safari ???

David -

I experienced the same thing. But I was still able to save it via the audio plug-in used in Safari. (I think it's condensed version of the QuickTime plug-in.) Here's how I was able to save the mp3 file using the Safari browser:

Click on the mp3 file and allow it to completely load into the audio plug-in. To the right of the plug-in itself, click on the upside-down triangle. From there, click on the option to Save as Source. . . . From there I was able to direct the plug-in where to save the file. It all seemed to work fine.

Hope this is helpful.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks Ted.

I just tried that, but it has the word "Pro" beside the "save as source" and prompts me to spend 30 bucks to get quicktime-pro. I guess it's an apple quicktime scam.

I guess I'll get firefox just to use when downloading mp3s or midi. I'm reluctant though because in the past, using anything developed in the linux community has opened up my computer to rampant hacking invasions and rootkits, so in subsequent reinstalls i haven't put any of that stuff on here.

Maybe I'll install it each time i need to download music, then promptly remove it afterward.

In Safari, you can always use the Activity Window to save content from the page you're loading. Load the page with the Garritan Christmas Player, then press control+option and the activity window should open. Then, look through the list for the file you want (if it's an mp3 or video, it will usually be the biggest), then click it to download. If you don't see it on the list, note that some of the items are collapseable, so open them up, and it will be in one of them. The Activity Window is one of safari's somewhat known little secrets .

Thumbs up Re: "save as..." Is greyed out in Safari ???

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    In Safari, you can always use the Activity Window to save content from the page you're loading. Load the page with the Garritan Christmas Player, then press control+option and the activity window should open. Then, look through the list for the file you want (if it's an mp3 or video, it will usually be the biggest), then click it to download. If you don't see it on the list, note that some of the items are collapseable, so open them up, and it will be in one of them. The Activity Window is one of safari's somewhat known little secrets .

Thanks Sonare, that worked... well actually it didn't, but i googled "Safari Activity Window" and found the instruction to hold the Option key while clicking the file you wish to download... and that worked.

maybe the method changed a little on a newer version.

as long as i have been using Safari, i never knew about that.

Thanks so much for your help, Sonare and Ted!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    I just tried that, but it has the word "Pro" beside the "save as source" and prompts me to spend 30 bucks to get quicktime-pro. I guess it's an apple quicktime scam.
    Actually, Quicktime Pro is a very powerful editor and export utility. If I did not have it, I would merely right click on the link to the MP3 file and "download linked file as..."

If it were indeed a scam, you would have been given no other options. Quicktime is a powerful, free player. The Pro version is worth the money if you work often with video and audio as I do.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Question Re: "save as..." Is greyed out in Safari ???

Try Opera browser

http://www.opera.com/

Go Back to forum