• Register
  • Help

Topic: Software Recommendation

Share/Bookmark

Software Recommendation

I need a decent (but not expensive) Windows sequencer. It should work with eMu's Xboard (for usb keyboard control), eMu's Proteus X2, and Garritan's Personal Orchestra. I need to be able to edit from music notation, not just piano roll or other forms of editing.

I know that I could use the big programs listed above (Finale, Sibelius, Cakewalk, or Cubase), but I'm cheap. Is there anything else out there that I could use?

Fred

Re: Software Recommendation

Wouldn't Sonar Home Studio be just as cheap as you? It's a good starter sequencer; I used it until I upgraded to Sonar SE. It has the advantage, that if you later need/want to acquire something more powerful, the step up to Sonar SE/PE is an easy one, because Sonar HS is really just a scaled down version of Sonar SE.

There are free sequencers available but you'll probably have to pay good money to find one that has score editing.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Wouldn't Sonar Home Studio be just as cheap as you? It's a good starter sequencer; I used it until I upgraded to Sonar SE. It has the advantage, that if you later need/want to acquire something more powerful, the step up to Sonar SE/PE is an easy one, because Sonar HS is really just a scaled down version of Sonar SE.
    How good is it's sequence editing using notation? I don't mean how good it prints, but if I can use notation to edit the sequence. (I'm relatively old school and traditional notation is pretty ingrained.)

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    There are free sequencers available but you'll probably have to pay good money to find one that has score editing.
    I don't mind paying some money; I just don't want to pay more for the sequencer than the other software/hardware.

The SONUS Home Studio is around $100, well within my (cheap) means. If it works out, it would make me happy.

Sonar's notation editor is (like all other sequencers, I believe), compared to dedicated notation programs like Finale and Sibelius, rather primitive. You could try the Sonar 7 demo - I don't think there is much difference, if any, between the Score Editor in Sonar HS and Sonar SE/PE.

If you primarily prefer to work with notation rather than a piano roll you should opt for a dedicated notation program. But, don't go for MakeMusic's PrintMusic. It is probably too cheap for you and won't work with GPO - the demo can tell if it does. Allegro might (although you can't use GPO as a VST plugin - only via virtual MIDI cable to KP2 standalone) and Finale and Sibelius certainly do work with GPO.

Go Back to forum