• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: December Weather Blues

December Weather Blues

After following and contributing to a thread about Band in a Box and JaBB, I sat down this morning drop a chord progression into BiaB and had the Kontakt player set up in the DXi synth section. I loaded my instruments and set up the lead instrument solos. Everything went smoothly with no crashes. However, it did take me most of the day to put in CCs for the mod wheel to give the leads some semblance of a musical presentation.

At any rate here is:

December Weather Blues

I hope you enjoy it. I am always amazed at the realism you can get from JaBB. It just takes more work to squeeze things out then I sometimes want to give.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Re: December Weather Blues

Rich -

Great playing, Rich! This was a most enjoyable listen for me!

I take it that you might play a wind instrument like the tenor sax? Yes? No? The improvisation and playing was just marvelous. You are correct. It does take a lot of time, effort and work with the CC's to make those JABB instruments SING! The time and work involved with this piece was well worth the effort. Both the sax and trumpet sounds seems quite real!

Just one note. . . both the drums and the bass (and possibly the strings) seem too soft in the mix? I'm listening through head phones (my wife and our company are all sleeping while I'm at the computer listening), so maybe the mix will sound different through my monitors. But could the rhythms section be brought out more in the mix?? Although, I must say that the horns sounded crystal clear.

I've shared similar experiences in other posts before, but this piece brought me back to when I lived in Boston. We used to go to the jazz pubs and listen to some great players play great tunes. Those are very dear memories to me. Again, this was a great listen, Rich. It's a pleasure to listen to your skillful playing (and rendering!).

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Shelton, Washington State

I really enjoyed this. You did a great job on getting a jazz feel with the leads.

I also think it could use a slight remix. I think when you put a lot of time into a project it's best to let it sit for the night and re-listen the next day just for the mix.

Thanks Ted and fastlane for listening. And YES it needs a re-mix. This is straight out of Band in a Box and no mixing on my part other than the weak mixer it has across the top of the screen. It was not behaving for me (the mixer that is) and I didn't find out until after I finished it. On my audio system, I could hear all but on my mp3 player this morning...well... it needs a remix.

I found that the panning and volume settings do not seem to hold where I place them when I render the file from Band in a Box. I guess I am doing something wrong. I will have to work on that problem.

To answer your question: Yes, I am a sax and clarinet player. I have a Masters in Performance on Clarinet and have played in many big bands throughout my career. I'd like to say that the sax playing you heard was me playing the tenor but it was the Jabb Tenor 4 and the line was generated by Band in a Box. I just did the Mod Wheel CCs to get it to have a better jazz feel.

Thanks for listening. Now I have to go work on the balance problem and repost this.

The song is currently unavailable as Soundclick seems to be having a problem. I will post when it is back on the site.

Okay, I have successfully uploaded to Soundclick an improved version of this with it being mixed in Sonar. The link at the start of this thread will take you to the new mix of December Weather Blues.

Great jazz feeling here and such good WW lines.

You got a lot out of what you used and I can't wait
    to hear it when produced by a DAW where you can
    mix it the way you first visualized.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Never used Band in a box. Is that like a pocket orchestra. Sorry. I just read a thread like that in Discussion.

JABB has some real cool sounds in it. I use it a lot in my works.

Do you still play with others? Music, I mean.

This has some nice lines in it and is so smoooooth.

Great piece.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Thanks for the comments. When I get the time I definitely want to go into each part and tweak them to just plain have fun. It is interesting being able to get the Garritan sounds working in Band in a Box. It still takes a lot of work to make them sound their best.

Band in a Box is sort of like having your own back up band. You give it the chord progression and it will comp in what ever style you choose (provided it has the style ini type files to follow). There is a lot more to it but it is best described as a band that can play what you ask it to. You can even let the program pick the chord progression and write a melody and solo part if you choose.

To answer your other question, I do still play but less frequently than I used to. There is not much call for Big Bands in our area and only a few working bands today. Not like the old days when you could play on 2 or 3 nights every weekend. I am more times than not in a trio or quartet setting. I do 3 to 4 musicals a year with high schools and colleges as a pit player.

The lead work in this is downright hot for December,
    Rich... lol. Impressive.

To my tastes, at least, I think I'd perhaps bring up
    the background players very slightly... they seemed
    a tad muted.

Just the ticket for a raw December night, though --
    enjoyed this one.

My best,

David Sosnowski