• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New to GPO...Thinking of buying it.

Share/Bookmark

New to GPO...Thinking of buying it.

Hello,
    I'm new to using orchestral software and orchestra arrangements in general. I am a guitarist recording at home and mainly writing and recording rock music. I would like to add some orchestral arrangements to my music to make it 'bigger'. I don't know if you guys are familiar with Symphony X. They use orchestral arrangements in their music.
    I'm checking out different softwares for my needs and would like to know what you guys can recommend me. I really don't need 100 samples per note and extra fine articulations. I will not write classical music. I need a good string and percussion section along with some horns to mainly play together in an ensemble in order to fatten up certain areas of the song and make them more dramatic.
    Is GPO the way to go?
    I will appreciate detailed answers like CPU and RAM usage, how good sounding is it (are there demo songs to listen to?), how is tech support? etc...
    I'm on a Q6600 PC, 2GB of RAM.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thumbs up Re: New to GPO...Thinking of buying it.

What's to think about? Haven't you heard the demo's and especially the new 2008 Garritan Christmas CD?
    Let me say this, all around, you can't go wrong.

Re: New to GPO...Thinking of buying it.

We do Rock n Roll and I use GPO for the orchestra that backs up the band. Here is a link to Steve Vaile's Myspace page that will give you and idea of the sound we do: http://www.myspace.com/stevevaileandfriends

I do the Drums, Bass Guitar, Organ, Synthesizers and Orchestra. I also do some of the recording and all the mixing & mastering.

Hey, this beats working for a living.

I highly recommend GPO.

The orchestra is the only thing we use GPO for, everything else we have and play it.
    Last edited by Hippie; 12-01-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Because I forgot to type something
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    Is GPO the way to go?
    I will appreciate detailed answers like CPU and RAM usage, how good sounding is it (are there demo songs to listen to?), how is tech support? etc...
    I'm on a Q6600 PC, 2GB of RAM.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Hello yairhol,

Regarding computer requirements, all the information can be found on the FAQ's page. The link is below.

'What kind of computer and equipment is required for Personal Orchestra?'

Regarding how good sounding it is, well, as Styxx suggested, listen for yourself. Try visiting our 'Listening Room' or why not start by listening to this years Christmas CD not long released. The tracks on this CD all use Gary's libraries. A few of the tracks have added vocals. You can visit Gary's Christmas CD using the following link:

'A Garritan Community Christmas Volume 5 (2008)'

Regarding tech support, you won't find any better anywhere. How many companies do you know where the CEO himself often answers the phone and is regularly in the forums? Apart from this, our community members have a wealth of knowledge and experience and are very willing to help. This is a friendly, supportive community.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Welcome. . .

Of course, you posted a question asking if users like GPO on a bulletin board forum that caters to GPO users, so (most probably) most of the answers are going to be quite positive for this particular orchestral library. LOL!

Still. . .

It IS a great sounding library and the price is wickedly low. Composers use GPO (and JABB, another Garritan instrumental library) for classical, rock, country, jazz, latin, rock-country fusion, rock-jazz fusion, latin-rock-jazz-country fusion and many other styles/genres of music. And, as others have pointed out, the technical support found here is fantastic. The support is probably one of the best! Mr. Garritan, quite often, answers technical questions. What is also important to know is that there are many, many knowledgeable users who will also help to problem solve issues too. Definitely check out the Listening Room as well as the Demo page on the official Garritan web site. And, as others pointed out, the music found on the 2008 Christmas Album (I believe) is 100% Garritan products. This album makes for a great listen and does a nice job show-casing GPO (and JABB and the rest).

Good luck with your decision.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    I would like to add some orchestral arrangements to my music to make it 'bigger'.
    Buddy Holly would be proud.

If you are looking to just fatten your sound, there are myriads of "Strings" sounds that you can use to do so out there. However, if you want to take your Rock to a different level, consider GPO. You say you do not need all the various instruments or articulations, but experimenting with such additional features is what will separate your sound from others. This is what separated The Beatles on many of their tunes. This also included the use of unusual instruments and not just anchoring themselves to guitars, bass, and drums. (thank you George Martin) For example, what would Penny Lane sound like sans-brass and wind?

Speaking of Classical instruments, where would Jethro Tull be without the Alto Flute? Or Queen's Fairy Feller's Master without the Harpsichord? Though many of the classic Rock bands depended on the Mellotron for their Classical instrument sounds. If given the budget, they would have chosen the real stuff any day. They would have been the first to use GPO were it available to them.

If you want to lean your licks more towards Zappa-styled Blues, consider the JABB package (ie Jazz and Big Band) for your horn sections.

I created Led Zeppelin's Kashmir using GPO and it sounded awesome!

Now something else to consider, your instruments are not limited to their classic sounds. Since you are in control of each channel, you can add some Amp effects. You could, for example, use a solo violin to produce a Jean Luc Ponte sound. The sky would be pretty much the limit.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Thanks all...Your answers are greatly appreciated.
    Besides the software sounding great, this looks like a nice place to hang out.
    Thank you efiebke & schneb for pointing out the JABB library. It could be that this fits my needs even more than the GPO although they will take my music in totally different directions. Now it seems I want both the GPO and JABB.

How many here have the JABB software? It seems that the majority are GPO owners. Of course I could be wrong.

Also how many here use a PC? Does the software run smoothly on a PC?
    What's the copy protection method?

Any more details that you would like to share with me?

Regards...

P.S. - Too bad the funk demos of JABB don't work...
    P.S. 2 - Do GPO and JABB come with effects like reverb, EQ,...?

Besides the software sounding great, this looks like a nice place to hang out.
    Got that right. The folks here are top notch, and Gary Garritan himself often chimes in. Something you will not see with other companies.

...although they will take my music in totally different directions.
    I only listen to music that goes in different directions. Imagine if Danny Elfman never took a different direction? Or imagine Oingo Boingo without a killer horn section? Unthinkable! Having a great tool set available to you increases not only the fun of experimentation, it gives you a real appreciation of different styles and genres of music. Next thing you know, your music is becoming far more dynamic and less "just loud". Remember, the Big Band sound began with someone taking a "different direction".

How many here have the JABB software? It seems that the majority are GPO owners.
    I do, and several others. None of us are satisfied with GPO alone.

Also how many here use a PC? Does the software run smoothly on a PC?
    I'm one of the rare Macintosh dudes here. Many are on PC and have few problems... if any.

What's the copy protection method?
    That is in transition. Currently, most product packages are in Native Instruments Kontakt 2 format, and this is a proprietary file for protection. However, Garritan is transitioning away from Native Instruments to an open source format using the ARIA engine. I love this new direction immensely.

Do GPO and JABB come with effects like reverb, EQ,...?
    GPO comes with "wet" versions of their samples. Most effects come from the engine used, such as Kontakt 2 having convolution reverb and basic EQ. However, such effects should come from your track settings in the DAW used such as Logic, Cakewalk, Finale, etc.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

I use GPO and JABB on a PC. Never had any problems (of any kind) in the years I've had them. (Apart from lack of ideas sometimes but they dont seel that)
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Thank you guys for all your help.
    Final question for now, is there a demo I can try out of GPO before buying?

Thanks.

Edit: Can't resist, I have another question.
    In the Cubase tutorial from the Garritan website, it says that in order to add reverb they use the Ambience Plug (http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO-SXtutorial.htm)

Does it come with GPO or is it seperate?

Go Back to forum