• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions about GPO and KP

Share/Bookmark

Questions about GPO and KP

Hello

I have some questions about GPO and KP that I simply can't figure out from the manual

(1) How do I scroll down in the KP window in the standalone mode, or reduce its size? It seems impossible, for instance, to see everything there is under "Outputs".

(2) Especially "Outputs" is confusing. What are "st.1" and "st.2", and why are there 4 bars in which you can choose effects under each? When adding things like reverb, should I add it to every bar, or just one, and why? And what on earth is intended by the four vertical "aux" to the right? Here is what the manual mainly says:

"There are two types of faders. "Blue" faders that relate to channel outputs (the number of faders depends on the number of available outputs", and four "orange" faders that control return from the four send effects. Each fader, output or aux return, has four effects inserts points."

??

Re: Questions about GPO and KP

Quote Originally Posted by Bernt View Post
    Hello

I have some questions about GPO and KP that I simply can't figure out from the manual

(1) How do I scroll down in the KP window in the standalone mode, or reduce its size? It seems impossible, for instance, to see everything there is under "Outputs".

(2) Especially "Outputs" is confusing. What are "st.1" and "st.2", and why are there 4 bars in which you can choose effects under each? When adding things like reverb, should I add it to every bar, or just one, and why? And what on earth is intended by the four vertical "aux" to the right? Here is what the manual mainly says:

"There are two types of faders. "Blue" faders that relate to channel outputs (the number of faders depends on the number of available outputs", and four "orange" faders that control return from the four send effects. Each fader, output or aux return, has four effects inserts points."

??
    Hi Brent!

To answer your questions:
    1.) You can increase the size of your Kontakt Player by pressing the "view" button at the top right of the player. It is in the bottom row of the eight buttons, 2nd from the right. Choose "large size" from there. You can define how big each size is in Kontakt Player's options. That should allow you to see everything.

2.) St. 1 and St. 2 are two separate stereo outputs, if I remember correctly. Stereo 1 (St. 1) sends to your speakers, and I believe other applications can read the other one (stereo 2).

There are four effects plugin slots, where you can apply up to four seperate effects. If you wanted to plugin reverb, you would plug it in to only one of the slots. After that you have three availible for things like chorus, delay, or a 3 band EQ, just to name some examples.

The four Aux sends on the right of Stereo 1, Stereo 2, and Surround Sound 5.1 are intended for sending audio within an application, if I remember correctly. If you used Kontakt Player 2 as a plugin in a recording program like Pro Tools, you could use it to send audio to other tracks in a multitrack session, or to any other input source within the application.

Hope this clears things up! Just ask if you need any more detail or explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    Hi Brent!

To answer your questions:
    1.) You can increase the size of your Kontakt Player by pressing the "view" button at the top right of the player. It is in the bottom row of the eight buttons, 2nd from the right. Choose "large size" from there. You can define how big each size is in Kontakt Player's options. That should allow you to see everything.

2.) St. 1 and St. 2 are two separate stereo outputs, if I remember correctly. Stereo 1 (St. 1) sends to your speakers, and I believe other applications can read the other one (stereo 2).

There are four effects plugin slots, where you can apply up to four seperate effects. If you wanted to plugin reverb, you would plug it in to only one of the slots. After that you have three availible for things like chorus, delay, or a 3 band EQ, just to name some examples.

The four Aux sends on the right of Stereo 1, Stereo 2, and Surround Sound 5.1 are intended for sending audio within an application, if I remember correctly. If you used Kontakt Player 2 as a plugin in a recording program like Pro Tools, you could use it to send audio to other tracks in a multitrack session, or to any other input source within the application.

Hope this clears things up! Just ask if you need any more detail or explanation.
    And thank you for this!

Hi Bernt,
    here is a long post I did recently. It seems overwhelming but it really isn't.
    It describes the Kontakt mixer's faders and how they can be used.

Regardless of what DAW software you are using, it is necessary to have designated outputs for each instrument
    if you care to create the best mix your music deserves.

The following information provides specific details to access additional stereo audio group outputs in Native Instruments'
    Kontakt Player2.
    After completing the following tasks, each instrument can be recorded into a separate audio track in your DAW,
    and then proper control of levels can be accomplished with the maximum amount of flexibility and quality.

This will take approximately fifteen to twenty minutes.
    Open your Kontakt Player2 in the DAW, however you do that. If you have quite a few Garritan Libraries,
    it should look something like this...

The Kontakt Player2 has only two "stereo" group outputs by default, which is poor design in my opinion,
    but we are going to create 15 more stereo groups, so we can load sixteen instruments, and have dedicated
    "unique" outputs for each.

At the top of the Kontakt player, click on the outputs tab...

next, click on "Add Channel"

you will get this annoying dialog box that you can just ignore every time.

we need to do this 14 more times....

Once you have added 15 channels, (they are stereo) so technically we have added 30 channels, we need to name them.
    I renamed my st.1 channel to (1-2) if you are a nitpicker like me, you want them centered, so you need to put a space first,
    then 1-2. I also renamed my second channel which was st.2 to .... can you guess?...... that's right.... space3-4.
    I continued to name the rest of the newly added stereo channels sequentially 5-6, 7-8, 9-10.... and so on,
    all the way up to our last stereo channel 33-34. It should now look like this...

Even though we have added new faders in the Kontakt mixer, they are dead since they are not assigned to anything,
    so we need to assign them to the correct outputs. Let's do that now,,,, click on the 5-6 fader's (conf.) button
    located under the fader....

you will now see a box similar to this...

click on the first --not connected-- and scroll down and choose unassigned out 5.
    Then click on the second one and scroll down and choose unassigned 6. Then hit OK.

I can't show a picture of this because my outputs are already finished and I don't want to do it all over just for a screenshot.
    Continue on with your next channel and do the same thing of course, the next would be unassigned 7 and unassigned 8.
    Do this for all your newly added channels.

Once you have finished assigning the outputs of all the channels, click "Reset Out Map".... This will activate your new channels.

NEXT THING IS VERY IMPORTANT!

click on "Make Default"... if you don't, the next time you use the Kontakt player
    you will have to go through all of these painfully aggravating steps again.
    From now on, each time you use the Kontakt player in a new project,
    your output channels will all be there waiting for an instrument.

Moving right along...
    let's check this whole thing out,... load a flute from GPO, any flute will do,

By default, the Kontakt player assigns this flute to audio out 1-2. If we play a few notes, with the mod wheel turned up,
    we will of course hear the sound, because Kontakt reserves the first stereo output "pair" to the DAW's main stereo output.
    This is why we will not use 1-2 for assigning to audio track/s.

so, let's assign this flute to 3-4...

It is important to know that most of the single instruments in GPO like woodwinds and brass, were recorded with just
    one microphone, this makes them (mono) or a single channel. We don't want to waste two channels of outputs
    for just one mono instrument, so we let two instruments share a stereo "pair".

Later I will post a list of the instruments in GPO and JABB that indicate the stereo or mono status of every sound in those libraries.

If you look on the right-hand side of the player, you will see two slide faders, the first one is pan, (short for "panorama")
    and the second is volume.

Set this flutes' pan slider all the way to the left (hard left). This will cause the flute to only be heard in the left channel
    of the chosen stereo "pair".
    "left" is always odd numbered channels, and "right" is always even numbered channels.... get it? Do you see a pattern here?

Remember this.... setting the flute hard left is for the purpose of assigning it to an audio track in the DAW,
    after it is recorded, the audio tracks' "pan" will determine the flute's position on stage, from left to right in the final stereo mix.

Let's load a second instrument, but this time, let's make it an Oboe.

Set the Oboe's stereo output "pair" to the same as the flute, which is (3-4) and set the pan slider all the way to the right,
    hard right. This will cause the Oboe to only be heard in the right channel of the chosen stereo "pair".

Now we need to setup or ADD the appropriate mono audio tracks in the DAW that these instruments will be recorded into.

The first mono audio track in the DAW will be named flute and it's input will need to be Kontakt Player2-1 3

Those numbers can be very confusing, which is Native Instrument's fault.

It says Kontakt Player2 because it is the second version of Kontakt.
    Right after that is a dash and the number one, which indicates the first Kontakt player instance, in other words,
    if you had more than 16 instruments, you would fill up the first player, and then create a second Kontakt instance.
    Moving on, the "3" means audio channel so again,,,

The second mono audio track in the DAW will be named Oboe, and it's input will be Kontakt Player2-1 4.

Instruments that are stereo need a stereo audio track in the DAW.

So, if we had a Steinway piano loaded next, it would need a stereo "pair" all to itself,
    and logically we would use the next available stereo "pair" which would be 5-6.

One last thing,,, it is a good idea after you load each instrument, to increase the volume slider to about 0 db.

db = decible, the measurment of volume.
    Zero db is not OFF, zero db means,... no increase of gain,... and no reduction of gain.
    Look at the values when you move the slider, it will be about here...

The programmers purposely set the gain low on the instruments, assuming that many instruments would be used simultaneously,
    and would cause overloading of the master volume of the player. That does not concern us, because we are recording individual instruments into separate audio tracks, and we want good solid level during recording.

THAT'S IT!

DPDan

Dan, you need to post this on the Wiki!
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Dan is the GREATEST..........

What a great tutorial. I have been over it many
    times, but still marvel at the way it was created
    and how effective and productive a learning tool
    it is.

THANK YOU DAN........once again.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 25.5, DORICO 1.2.10, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.51, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum