• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can I do this?

Share/Bookmark

Can I do this?

Using Finale, I have thus far on the song "Madison" - up until around measure 200 - had vocals on just two staves - along with 12 instruments.
    Rather simple singing with a lot of unison and only some part singing.

At measure 200 or so, I am thinking about having the chorus become the "band" for about 16 bars - scat style.
    I think it would be a nice change and a crowd pleaser to boot.
    Can I - at page 20 - add 2 staves so I can have 4 staves for SATB and do a little more complex writing?
    I know I can do it with layers, but I think it would be easier to follow with 4 staves.

Or do I have to do it 4 staves from the start to finish?
    I would like to attach first page of the conductor score, but can't do that here it seems. If needed, I can send anyone the first page to see.

I posted on the Mac Finale forum, but so many Finale users are here, I often get faster responses here.

Thanks for any input.

Charles
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Can I do this?

Charles -

I'm at work, away from my home computer which houses my happy Finale 2008 program. But I believe that you CAN add two staffs as you described. I think I've done so, myself, in the past. (Altough I've owned the program for a long time, I don't use it that often.) First, see what choices/options you may have with the STAFF icon. If nothing seems to help you there, do what I do. Try this, then that, then this, then that! LOL! But there MUST be a way to add (and subtract) staffs in the middle of a score.

Wish I was at my computer now. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I was corrected by Sanyarem (thank goodness ), so, read his post below, add your two staves and then proceed to this:

To make the staves appear at measure 200: AFTER you have written in all of the new vocal parts, go to the page layout tool, then go to the page layout menu and select "optimize staff systems". This will remove empty staves on every system where they occur, so, for the first 200 measures where there is no music in your extra two vocal staves, it will hide those. It will show your two staves again on the first system with music, so to keep it clean, make sure you have the section where those two staves begin at the beginning of a system.

The only problem you can run into is if you have a lot of empty staves, because "optimize staff systems" will remove them. However, I believe you can set it to only affect those two staves.

Just ask if you have anymore questions or run into any problems.

Tyler

In finale 2008, you can insert staves wherever you want. Simply select the stave tool. Then you can do two things.

(Someone correct me if i'm wrong, my memory is fuzzy)

Select a stave and go to the insert menu, select new stave. This will insert a staff above your currently selected one.

Or (the easier way) select the staff tool, go to the insert menu and select "Add staff with setup wizard" and it will insert it where you want. Then follow Sonare's directions for making it appear only where you want it to
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    In finale 2008, you can insert staves wherever you want. Simply select the stave tool. Then you can do two things.

(Someone correct me if i'm wrong, my memory is fuzzy)

Select a stave and go to the insert menu, select new stave. This will insert a staff above your currently selected one.

Or (the easier way) select the staff tool, go to the insert menu and select "Add staff with setup wizard" and it will insert it where you want. Then follow Sonare's directions for making it appear only where you want it to
    Really? That's awesome! I'll edit my post above to reflect this.

I now have 2008 as well, but I can't remember being able to do it in 2006. Maybe you could, I just don't think I ever did because it was a little messy. It always assigned the same midi channel to the new stave as the one of the stave above it. There was also some sound distortion when this happened if I remember correctly. It was an easy fix, all you had to do was create a new instrument for the new stave in the instruments window list and then change the channel of that new instrument, but I'm getting off track here. That's enough Finale history for anyone's day.

Go Back to forum