• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Share/Bookmark

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/symphony

A global, internet orchestra. And a chance to audition for Carnegie Hall.

I don't think you can use sample libraries.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Re: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

The YouTube Symphony Orchestra is making quite a splash!

The YouTube Symphony Orchestra revolves around two main goals: the creation of a mash-up performance of a symphony from video submissions; and second, a live performance of the same symphony (written for the occasion by composer Tan Dun) at Carnegie Hall on April 15, 2009, with about 150 players selected on the basis of their YouTube video submissions.

Interested participants -- who must be older than 14, and not bound by any contractual obligations that would limit the terms of their participation (ruling out most professionals) -- can download the score for "Internet Symphony No. 1: Eroica" at http://youtube.com/symphony after selecting one of 26 instruments (including a category for "other"). Those who simply wish to participate online can upload their videos of the symphony. Anyone auditioning for the live performance must submit videos of specified excerpts of the standard orchestral repertory by Jan. 28.
    Here is info from the YouTube site

Some of you may recall that we tried to do a Carnegie Hall orchestra a few years ago but it didn't work out at the time. See --> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35356
    Who knows, maybe in the future we can revisit this idea.

Gary

This will be very interesting to see!

I think I'd really like to be Tan Dun though...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

What a fantastic chance for young musicians and old alike to finally get a shot a Carnegie Hall. It will be interesting to see who the finalists are that get to Carnegie Hall.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

And the best part (IMHO) -

Finalists will be chosen by a judging panel and YouTube users to travel to New York in April 2009, to participate in the YouTube Symphony Orchestra summit, and play at Carnegie Hall under the direction of Michael Tilson Thomas.
    Styxx

I feel like sending a video of myself as I hit a Triangle. "ding"
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

This idea seems to me very similar to European "Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra" under Herbert von Karajan/Claudio Abbado direction. Although YouTube uses latest technology for auditions and advertisement, the "GMYO" seemed much more professional to me - giving not only one performance but a month of touring to all countries the orchestra players came from. Pity the GPO Symphony idea did not happen. It would certainly bring more original inputs to the world of music, than YouTube
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

Take the R to 57th Street.

Serge

Quote Originally Posted by capellen View Post
    Pity the GPO Symphony idea did not happen. It would certainly bring more original inputs to the world of music, than YouTube
    Absolutely!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum