• Register
  • Help

Topic: Phase Cancellations caused because of Convolution Reverb

Share/Bookmark

Phase Cancellations caused because of Convolution Reverb

Hi,
    Some one recently mentioned to me that using a convolution reverb in a aux-send situation will cause phase cancellations (comb -filtering) when the wet signal from the reverb mixes in with the dry signal of the channel strip. This is supposed to happen particularly with Altiverb. So it has to be used as an insert, or send the signal directly to it not using busses.
    I checked with some one else and he mentioned that there can never be any comb filtering because the dry and wet signals are different. For comb filtering to happen both the signals have to be exactly the same or similar.
    Thats what I always thought.
    Any thoughts?

Re: Phase Cancellations caused because of Convolution Reverb

Phase problems will happen if your reverb isn't set to be 100% wet.

If any of the dry signal is present coming back in from the reverb, it will cause a problem when mixing with the dry original channels.

In Altiverb, there is an option setting to make it 100% wet for aux use.
    Will Loconto
    www.WillLoconto.com

Re: Phase Cancellations caused because of Convolution Reverb

Thanks Will,
    Actually I already understand that part. I was just wondering if you can create phase cancellations when a dry and wet sound mix together?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Loconto View Post
    Phase problems will happen if your reverb isn't set to be 100% wet.

If any of the dry signal is present coming back in from the reverb, it will cause a problem when mixing with the dry original channels.

In Altiverb, there is an option setting to make it 100% wet for aux use.

Go Back to forum