• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Is your PC secure?

Share/Bookmark

Is your PC secure?

Fewer than one in 50 Windows PCs are fully patched, according to stats from users of Secunia's new patching tool. Statistics from a sample of 20,000 users reveal that 98.1 per cent have one or more insecure programs installed on their Windows machines.

Being an IT professional and priding myself in having a totally secure system I thought I'd give this excellent free tool a run. Shock results - a Secunia system score of 86% with thirteen security threats identified in unpatched or out of date software. A few clicks and patch updates later (and uninstalling a couple of old unneeded packages), and I'm now 100% secure again.

More and more internet attacks take advantage of application vulnerabilities rather than flaws in underlying operating systems. That means that keeping patches up to date is becoming more important. Running a personal firewall and up-to-date anti-virus is no longer enough to come anywhere close to assuring a safe surfing experience.

Secunia's PSI utility - available at no charge to consumers - scans Windows systems to log applications that need patching or are out of date. Links to patches downloads and more info are provided. It's a neat utility which really does a great job.

Anybody get a 100% score first time?

Re: Is your PC secure?

HA!

I did better than you Tony! 3 threats (all from Adobe programs), and 95% score! YAY me! time to download a few patches...

Is my pc secure? Nope! I use a mac! flawless

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols View Post
    Is my pc secure? Nope! I use a mac! flawless
    Windows is more secure than you think, and Mac OS X is worse than you ever imagined. That is according to statistics published for the first time this week by Danish security firm Secunia.

One thing the hard figures have shown is that OS X's reputation as a relatively secure operating system is unwarranted, Secunia said. This year and last year Secunia tallied 36 advisories on security issues with the software, many of them allowing attackers to remotely take over the system - comparable to figures on operating systems such as Windows XP Professional and Red Hat Enterprise Server.

"Secunia is now displaying security statistics that will open many eyes, and for some it might be very disturbing news," said Secunia chief executive Niels Henrik Rasmussen. "The myth that Mac OS X is secure, for example, has been exposed."

linky

Cool Re: Is your PC secure?

Mac here no problems 15 years

Thumbs up Re: Is your PC secure?

Thanks Tony. This is great advice and very sincere of you to post. I will give it a whirl later on both my PC even though the newest hardly see internet use except to update when necessary.
    Regardless of which one uses (PC or Mac) everyone should give Tony's advice warrant. His continuation and concern for fellow forum members remains consistent.
    I would have never known of this or other PC and Mac related issues if it weren't for Mr Tony.
    Styxx

+1 for Secunia's PSI tool. I have had it running for a few months now and it's been a great help to keep my PC up to date.

Additionally I have 1 Firewall and 3 spyware/virus scanners offering realtime protection, so I think my PC is secure. And yes, I know: I'm paranoid

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    +1 for Secunia's PSI tool. I have had it running for a few months now and it's been a great help to keep my PC up to date.

Additionally I have 1 Firewall and 3 spyware/virus scanners offering realtime protection, so I think my PC is secure. And yes, I know: I'm paranoid
    Paranoia is good when it comes to security

I have a proxy server behind a hardware firewall, the best in anti-virus and anti-spyware as well as real time monitoring of everything that happens on my network with custom written scripts to trap and analyse and I still feel paranoid.

I only have one Windows XP machine, the rest are Linux boxes where most of the work gets done but better safe than sorry.

And while I'm at it - backup your data! I still hear horror stories of dead hard drives with no data backed up in any form. Ask yourself a question, what would be the implications if your current drives suddenly disappeared right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Mac here no problems 15 years
    No problems doesn't mean it won't happen. I haven't had a problem with security in all the years I've been involved in IT but I do take a proactive approach. Read the above linked article on Mac security, doesn't make comfortable reading for the Mac users who think security doesn't apply to them.

It's a nasty online world out there

Insecure programs? That's like an application blacklister then.

I'm on Kaspersky09, has 11 anti-thingens I feel relatively secure lol. It notifies me when a program does something out the ordinary.

Go Back to forum