• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New 'hear' ;) ... thought i'd say hello.

Share/Bookmark

Talking New 'hear' ;) ... thought i'd say hello.

Greetings folks... i just found/joined this great community. Wow there's so much stuff going on here it's amazing. I am very happy to be a part of this thriving musical community. You don't find many of these around the interwebs these days.

I have dared to 'expose' myself here on my first posting. But i feel the waters are at least luke warm, so i'm less timid to do so.

I have here and lil' piece i composed/arranged/played awhile ago. It's actually my crowning achievement to date. I'm very proud of this piece. It's not overly heady musically (at least i don't think so) but it has a nice feel to it.

I welcome comments from anyone who cares enough to have a quick listen... well.. maybe not so 'quick' per say... the piece is 11+ minutes long.

I would be especially interested in hearing what Alan Belkin thinks of this piece. either privately, or in this thread (should he have the time). I thoroughly enjoyed going through his online writings covering orchestration. I haven't fully made it through them yet, but i will.

This piece is called "A Western Story". You'll understand why when you hear it. And please don't mind the slight bit'o'cheese in the intro (i.e. crickets and owls). It's just for ambiance. LOL

NOTE: please give the file a brief moment to download/play. In order to maintain sound integrity, the file size was encoded a lil' large: 12mb. (that's just over a meg a minute, hehe) Anyone on broadband shouldn't have much of a wait.

OK i've chatted enough!

Enjoy!
    Here's the link: http://www.box.net/shared/5tv4jzqmeo

Re: New 'hear' ;) ... thought i'd say hello.

Hi Mark,

you are very welcome here. The piece is "all american" and that is a compliment. Don't know what Alan Belking would say, but I say you made your welcoming statement very clear and joyful. Go on posting pieces.

It sat it out, all 11 minutes or so..... and enjoyed it, all those inserted "alien" sounds as well as the rest of the piece of course. It was well blended in.

Greetings from a snowy The Hague - The Netherlands

Raymond

Hello Mark5 -

Welcome to these forums! Hopefully, you will find this place to be a friendly, supportive and informative place to visit during your internet travels.

Just finished listening to the piece that you posted. Yee Haa! I can almost see those wagon-trains and cattle-ranchers-on-horseback (otherwise known as cowboys - LOL! ) as I listened to the piece! I think that I can safely say that you at least hold a little interest in the Old West. Yes? No?

Nice job! Nicely composed and orchestrated to my modest ears. Although the whole piece was a pleasant listen, the middle section really moved me. It was an interesting change in feel, yet it still maintained that "Old Western" sound.

Curious. . . what sound libraries did you use? Also, did you use a sequencer program or a notation program? I'm just curious.

Well. . . hope you share more of your music and spend more time on these happy forums.

Happy composing!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Howdy Ted!
    Thanks for listening and for the nice review and comments. It's appreciated.

As to your questions... no, i don't really hold any particular affinity to the ol' west. I just didn't have a western piece in my repetoire so thought i'd throw one together. LOL But i DO so enjoy the old west themes a lot. I think they showcase several different styles/feels in one 'container' so-to-speak. That's always intereted me.

The middle section is also my favorite part. It moves me too.

As for sound libraries... that's going to give you a chuckle, hehe. The entire piece was done on an Ensoniq TS-10 keyboard. The samples are part of the stock library that came with the board. And i used Cubase to throw the piece together. For anyone not familiar with this board, here's some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensoniq_TS_10
    I do have some more current/modern sample libraries at my disposal... but i just don't have the time atm to convert all of my 13 movie scores. If anyone wants to offer to help in that dept. let me know. LOL (j/k)

BTW this piece is part of a larger body of work entitled "Stories Across Time". If anyone wishes, i can post other pieces from the CD. They're all quite varied in style/feel. As the title says... they span across time.

Thanks again Ted for listening/posting.

PS: I'm still on a trek here to listen to as many other folks' music as i can. Seems like there's a wide variety of interests and styles here. Very nice to see.

Have a good one.
    Mark...

Welcome aboard, Mark -- and I've definitely got
    to toss this one a...

Bravo!

A wonderful western fantasia, with an intriguing
    admixture of styles and material that comes together
    cohesively into a great listen.

I might suggest voicing this a little higher (try
    taking the whole piece up a whole tone?) to brighten
    the overall color... and perhaps a little brisker tempo
    in places.

Keep it coming!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

P.S.:

Mark, one note: This is the "Garritan" forum. As courtesy
    to our host, it's generally expected that some use of one
    or more of the Garritan libraries is incorporated in the work.

I loved this work of our new member, but after having read his comments on the replies I wonder which instrument is from GPO (or other Garritan Libs)?

Raymond

Thanks David, good suggestions. I'll try applying those and see how it works.

"Mark, one note: This is the "Garritan" forum. As courtesy to our host, it's generally expected that some use of one or more of the Garritan libraries is incorporated in the work."

Understandable David.
    This is my virgin post. I'll be posting more soon and will include some uses of the libraries. I just got excited and wanted to quickly introduce myself.

PS: Thought you might want to know David, the MP3 players on your site aren't working in FF3. When you click the play button, the players just disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark5 View Post
    Thought you might want to know David, the MP3 players on your site aren't working in FF3. When you click the play button, the players just disappear.
    Thanks for the note on that, Mark. I've had one other comment
    to that effect, and the solution appears to be updating Flash.

I will probably be returning to direct links to .mp3's in the near
    future, in any event.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Actually David i have the flash 10 player installed.
    But i wouldn't put it past FF3 and it's funky new coding. It has other issues too so why not this.

One other option for you would be to save the flash players to be compatible with v7/8 instead of the latest one. It is after all just an MP3 player. It shouldn't need to use the latest flash technology.

I'm a Web and graphics designer so if you'd like/need any help with anything feel free to let me know. I'll help if i can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark5 View Post
    Actually David i have the flash 10 player installed.
    But i wouldn't put it past FF3 and it's funky new coding. It has other issues too so why not this.

One other option for you would be to save the flash players to be compatible with v7/8 instead of the latest one. It is after all just an MP3 player. It shouldn't need to use the latest flash technology.

I'm a Web and graphics designer so if you'd like/need any help with anything feel free to let me know. I'll help if i can.

Thanks, Mark.

FF3 does indeed have "issues"... lol... most especially
    with Flash. I tried a recompile to 7/8 on it -- but the
    result of that with so many players in the page was
    that FF started choking on memory and the players
    would cease to work. Go figure.

But there are other reasons I will likely soon revert
    back to direct links... notably page loading speed with
    the <iframe> approach I'm using... which is miserable
    in IE.

My initial intent was to make things easier -- but in the
    end, this approach has been more trouble than its worth!

My best,

David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast