• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Evening Canticles

Share/Bookmark

Evening Canticles

Here is my setting of the Anglican Evening Canticles (Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis) using GPO strings - a good substitute for what is intended to be the voices of a cathedral choir.

www.soundclick.com/grahamkeitch please navigate to the music page from the menu on the left hand side of page.

The baroque organ included with GPO is excellent but the English cathedral organ is very different in nature (and rarely sampled) so I hope I will be forgiven for using a third party product on this occasion!

I posted an incomplete version of the Magnificat sometime ago, but I've refined it and added the Nunc. One of the members of Exeter cathedral choir has given it the 'green light' for a run through after Christmas - which I'm very excited about.

These are GPO section strings with Ambience cathedral reverb.

Regards,

Graham

Re: Evening Canticles

This is a very nice cathedral piece I must say. The strings and organ work well here. It flows nicely allowing the listener to meditate on it's meaning and the meaning of all things.

Good luck on this one!

Phil

Graham,

Very nice work. Yes certainly it has the gothic sound with the large and spacious sound. But also modern in form. Nice combination and production. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

If in any way possible you can record the run through
    with the choir, Graham, I would absolutely love to hear
    this done live... even with the strings, this is gorgeous;
    in mind's ear with voices, it's stunning.

And, as ever, the distinct and unmistakeable mark of
    Keitch on this, of course: very beautifully done, my
    friend!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

A truly stunning work, I can also hardly wait to hear a live recording.
    This will be a great test piece for the upcoming Garritan Choirs!

This is very lush and rich in the sound tapestry you weave. I like the interplay of the organ and the string orchestra. Though contemporary in it's style the chords progressions at times are purely 19th century. I agree with others that a live performance in a Cathedral would be impressive indeed.

Good piece! I really enjoyed it!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thank you everyone, I'm very grateful to you all for listening and commenting.

Phil, thanks for getting to this one first to kick things off.

Gary, thanks also. I may well orchestrate this sometime and use brass as a substitute for the organ.

Thanks David, you're comments are much appreciated. I'm hoping to be able to record this before too long and will gladly share the results with my friends here.

Michel. thanks for listening in and your kind words.

Richard, thanks also. While it is good to hear some more experimental settings of these words, I have indeed kept to a more traditional structure for the phrasing in this attempt.

Kind regards, Graham

Graham,

This is absolutely beautiful! I listened this afternoon, and it took me a while to adjust to the strings-as-voices; I just listened again, and the effect really took hold: I could hear/imagine the singers, and to what a fine end! I certainly hope you can get this performed (and recorded). I don't have the text, but the work fits the liturgical-spiritual vein, with an expressiveness that is so strong a part of the 20th century English choral tradition. It is an imposing line of composers you have chosen to align yourself with, and you have shown that you can stand well with them.

Great work, my friend!

Best wishes for the holiday season,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Graham,

This is absolutely beautiful! I listened this afternoon, and it took me a while to adjust to the strings-as-voices; I just listened again, and the effect really took hold: I could hear/imagine the singers, and to what a fine end! I certainly hope you can get this performed (and recorded). I don't have the text, but the work fits the liturgical-spiritual vein, with an expressiveness that is so strong a part of the 20th century English choral tradition. It is an imposing line of composers you have chosen to align yourself with, and you have shown that you can stand well with them.

Great work, my friend!

Best wishes for the holiday season,
    Many thanks Ron. I really appreciate you giving this one a couple of goes to connect with the choral line, especially as this is not a short piece. On balance, I think the GPO strings give the best impression of a cathedral choir as the sound is quite pure.

And my best wishes to you too for Christmas and the New Year.

Kind regards, Graham

Graham

Beautifully done.

I have started many a piece with the organ and while I can play one, I can't seem to compose a piece I like for it.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast