• Register
  • Help

Topic: JV-1080 Orchestral

Share/Bookmark

JV-1080 Orchestral

Does anyone still use thier JV1080? I do and its still a great synth.
    Any thoughts?

Re: JV-1080 Orchestral

do you have any works you can post where you've used it? i'm curious.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I've got one. I did this with a mks 20 and a 1080. Not the best string writing, I'm basically just padding with it, but hey...it is what it is. I wish I'd never sold it. Great for a quick arr. This was a down and quick one dayer rush job.. Cathi sounds great. First and only take.

http://bellmusicproductions.com./Aud...mall_Hours.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    Does anyone still use thier JV1080? I do and its still a great synth.
    Any thoughts?
    I have an XP-80 which is the same engine as the JV. I also have the Bass and Drums, World, Special FX, and Orchesta II card in it.

It sounds great. I am always amazed at how many musical sounds are in it based on the amount of rom it has. The world expansion card is great. it may not have the perfect duduk, like Bela D's, but it has a ton of nice musical patches that inspire me.

I am toying with buying a Roland D-50 for this reason. It has nowhere near the horse power of todays soft synths but it just sounds bloody fantastic IMHO.

Also, the JV expansion card Orch I (I wish I had it instead of Orch II) has a fantastic warm string patch on it that I love, love love. (I had an XP-30 for a while and this card was included) It doesn't sound as real as a lot of the huge libs, but again, is very musical sounding and so damn warm.

2 cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I have 3 1080's and an XV-3080. Sound good, but orchestrally no comparison to EW, etc.

But great back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by linwood View Post
    I've got one. I did this with a mks 20 and a 1080. Not the best string writing, I'm basically just padding with it, but hey...it is what it is. I wish I'd never sold it. Great for a quick arr. This was a down and quick one dayer rush job.. Cathi sounds great. First and only take.

http://bellmusicproductions.com./Aud...mall_Hours.mp3
    yup, load up tons string sample is not always necessary, and eat up tons of system resources. When i just padding i use 1080 as bass line and a small sample size string ensemble patch as pad background.
    see http://mystsonic.com/product.php?name=Symphony
    , or even just add one more solo string, it just sound like
    a orchestral band.

I still use my JV-880 a lot. Bought it before the 1080 came out but it also has some really nice string sounds.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

I have the XP-30 and I can get a lot of mileage out of it. You're right about the "Warm Violins" patch. There is something just magic about that one. In addition to the orchestral stuff, there are just a ton of other really good meat and potatoes sounds. I wont be selling mine anytime soon.

Eric

Go Back to forum