• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: About the london solo strings

Share/Bookmark

Arrow About the london solo strings

Had the chance of getting my hands on this London Solo Strings library. But I've only seen the Viola.

I've not yet seen a review nor any comment exceeding 1-2 lines about this library. Strange huh?

Well i wanted to put a comment or two about it here:

Per articulation it has about 3 sounds per key mapped in the respective velocities. Unfortunately to get something hearable you have to press the key relatively hard. At about middle to 3/4 you get a relatively slow fade in. Hit the keys hard if you want a standard sound for quick notes. I find it not really convenient to play, rather annoying by the way the velocity is mapped.
    The violin has the most articulations (26) the Viola only 16 (you can look them up) half of which I find not really helpful such as the "Viola short" and "Crescendo short/med/long" since one could simply modulate these articulations. They might be handy though when you want a constant fade in sound. Arco is the only real usable articulation for mainstream play but a key doesn't last very long you have to hit it again to sort of simulate a bow change. The keyswitch load has 4 KS for Arco/marc/spic/piz for live play. There is also a quartett instrument of all 4 mapped out in their respective zones across the entire keyboard. As far as I've noticed it plays not more than 1 voice when you hit a key.
    But I guess you wanna know how it actually sounds lol. Just like from the audiodemos it has a authentic, dramatic and passionate sound and a nice vibrato (that you can't change). The vibrato varies from the velocity layers in MF seems to be passive at first and then fade in while at F it's stable and that's it with the customizability.
    If you want to use it professionally, you got to erase the inscripted reverb (not convolution) first everytime, or save the kontakt state in your application.

Besides that I find it ok if you want to use it simply for composing solid string quartetts, the sound is simply "nice" but I'm not an audiophile nor have I really good ears.

The prize seems to be at about 350$. I don't know what to think about that since for 550$ you can get the 20gb package EWQLSO. London Solo Strings hits 4 gigabyte.
    In my opinion LSS should be cheaper since it's programming is relatively simple. It wouldn't explode if there were atleast 1-2 more velocity layers of samples in the Arco articulation and a non-vibrato one that is clearly missing.

I hope this helps someone, questions welcomed.

Re: About the london solo strings

Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Slightly off-topic:

Sound on Sound is like crack to me. I can't get enough of it. They should start a support group.

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc View Post
    Slightly off-topic:

Sound on Sound is like crack to me. I can't get enough of it. They should start a support group.
    I agree. In fact, I canceled all my other magazine subscriptions because they can't even begin to compete with SOS.

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc View Post
    Slightly off-topic:

You and me both brother - you and me both.

"Originally released in 16-bit....now available as 24-bit"

How does that work? They recorded in 24, but dithered and released as 16? That's a stroke of brilliance if I have ever seen one.

Or, did they record in 16, and just add 8 more zeros, thereby incresing the file size while doing nothing to the quality.

Anyone know?

>>
    How does that work? They recorded in 24, but dithered and released as 16? That's a stroke of brilliance if I have ever seen one.
    >>

Well, VSL did the same thing in the past with their sample libraries - record at 24 and release at 16bit ...

oh, wasn't there this genius company that told mac users to get a PC to run their software and that plugins are no good and that over a long time only supported 16bit (how genius) .... ?
    So it is not unusual depending on when it was released ...

best

Maybe they staged it, converting it to 16 and releasing in Giga format first and later releasing the originals of 24bit (since it says "newly available") for Kontakt in order to get more customers

Hi Rocky, inasmuch as EWQLSO is a good buy and it does have a lot of good stuff, their solo strings can only work in some circumbstances, not really geared for a string quartet... However, you may want to check out the Kirk Hunter solo strings which are more flexible... And are $99 as a download...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro View Post
    Hi Rocky, inasmuch as EWQLSO is a good buy and it does have a lot of good stuff, their solo strings can only work in some circumbstances, not really geared for a string quartet... However, you may want to check out the Kirk Hunter solo strings which are more flexible... And are $99 as a download...
    Hi, out of pure interest (talking about the 20gbgold EWQLSO) what's wrong with their solo strings or what are they lacking particularly?

Go Back to forum