• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about Muse Receptor

Share/Bookmark

Question about Muse Receptor

There is one on sale at a store near me..a demo that is 60% off.

My question is, can I load this thing with my own soft instruments? I have GPO, J&BB, Stylus RMX and Omnisphere for starters.

Can anyone explain how you get these instruments into the Muse and are they platform specific....should I get a certain model for RTAS as opposed to VST?

Thanks, I figured to ask here since you guys are so knowledgeable. At the site it seems like you have to buy the MUSE preloaded.....surely that can't be the only way to get instruments in there?
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Re: Question about Muse Receptor

You should be able to figure all of this out by searching around here: http://www.museresearch.com/

Hope that helps.

Hey Lister, when you go to the Muse web site there are some excellent videos there that explain all about the Receptor from beginning to end Takes a good 455 minutes to watch them all. Have a look at them I suggest you'll probably have nearly all your questions answered. One thing to note though; I've seen Muse ads in music magazines this month for "Receptor 2", which is supposed to be major powerhouse etc., but nothing yet about the product at the web site. So that may be why some current Receptor units may start going on sale.
    And yes, you can load your VSTi instruments/software into Receptor, there are a few different models, and some units have much bigger hard drives than others, so be careful that the demo unit isn't a model with a smaller storage capacity because VSTi(s) these days can use up a lot of storage space very quickly. If it doesn't have a hard drive >500GB, personally I'd pass on a purchase. HTH. Cheerio................playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thank you guys...sorry for the slow response....we are in the death throes at 24 as we wind down Season 7.

I appreciate the answers. Yes...it only has a 160G drive....that is really small.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

They posted info on Receptor2, and it looks really good. I didn't dive in before even though I wanted to, but I think it has finally matured enough to merit serious consideration. Damn, if I wasn't hot for the forthcoming MacPros it'd be an easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lister Coleman View Post
    There is one on sale at a store near me..a demo that is 60% off.

My question is, can I load this thing with my own soft instruments? I have GPO, J&BB, Stylus RMX and Omnisphere for starters.

Can anyone explain how you get these instruments into the Muse and are they platform specific....should I get a certain model for RTAS as opposed to VST?

Thanks, I figured to ask here since you guys are so knowledgeable. At the site it seems like you have to buy the MUSE preloaded.....surely that can't be the only way to get instruments in there?

Hi Lister,

I own 2 Receptor Pro's, and have been using them for over 4 years now, so I can help answer some of your questions here based on experience.

Regarding loading your own VSTis (as unsupported installations), this is a crapshoot. Many vstis that are simple PC .dlls without copy protection just simply work (even some with challenge/response copy protections work). Anything that uses a syncrosoft dongle - you can rule out. Others can be made to work with enough diligence and knowledge of Linux.

From the VSTis that you mention above, Muse has supported installers for all of them except Omnisphere. I read somewhere on the KVM forum that Muse has a high priority to provide an installer for Omnisphere, but I'm guessing that it will probably only run well on their newest hardware.

Regarding RTAS - Muse makes a (RTAS/VST) plugin called 'Uniwire' which runs on your DAW host (eg. ProTools on a Mac or PC) that essentially synchronizes and streams MIDI to a receptor as well as audio to and from the Receptor - over ethernet. I have been able to use this with my PT Rig, but not reliably (high latency, dropouts). I expect that this will become more usable with the new Receptor Model that has a gigabit ethernet interface.

For interfacing with ProTools, you can still do this via ADAT (and syncronizing via SPDIF). Currently, this works better than Uniwire, as it has 1/2 the latency (downside is getting the connections all working).

These two solutions are available on for any Receptor model.

Some general notes/observations:

The best thing you can do to make a Receptor work for you is to MAX out the RAM. If you are buying used, you may be getting a configuration with minimal RAM - so take care of this first.

Upgrading to a bigger / faster Hard drive is also possible, and will improve overall system performance. Muse can upgrade this for you if you send the unit in. Some Real Linux pros have been able to upgrade this themselves, but I would not recommend this.

Muse is offering an upgrade path to their newest level of HW (Receptor 2) for any previous owner. It may be most cost-effective for you to buy a used one and then upgrade.

In general, getting unsupported plugins to work can be a long frustrating process. I find myself spending lots of time doing this, but I have been pretty succesfull doing this. Muse is slow at creating supported installers for various VSTis, but they do typically go after the more popular plugs.

Hope all this helps. Feel free to ask more Questions.

Regards,
    Kevin L

Kevin, solid info. Very helpful, thanks.

Go Back to forum