• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slightly OT: Guitar Filters for Post-Rock Guitar Sounds

Share/Bookmark

Slightly OT: Guitar Filters for Post-Rock Guitar Sounds

Hey Forum'ers,

I'm trying to achieve some really specific sounds (mostly using Logic and its built-in Guitar effects & amps): I'm aiming for some cool post-rock-sounding guitar sounds, a la Explosions in the Sky, Eluvium, that sort of thing. I'm using great guitar samples, but the hard part -- because I'm not a guitarist -- is knowing what to do with all of these filters in order to create some of those super-cool sounds: the shimmery, wet, super-delayed guitar sound, the washed-out distorted sound with a 10-sec reverb tail, or that U2-type sound that's a little high and piercing, but so distinctive that you know it as soon as you hear it. I've tried the TH1 demo from Overloud, and it's got some cool stuff in it but even it doesn't have the kind of sounds I'm looking for. Basically, I don't understand exactly what all of these guitar filters do -- at least, not like guitarists do!

Can anyone recommend either a) some standard settings or presets to achieve the kind of sound I'm looking for or b) a place where I can find this info in plain English? I've googled around and not found much: the stuff I have found probably makes sense to a guitarist, but not to little ol' keyboard-playin' me.

Any input at all would be fab.

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Re: Slightly OT: Guitar Filters for Post-Rock Guitar Sounds

Hi Kerry,

For the delayed, "shimmery" sound, you'd probably do well to start with a two delays - one set at 1/4 and the other at a dotted-8th.

Pan the delays L-and-R if you want a wide sound, but they also sound good feeding into one another in a more mono-like sound (can't recall which note value I like to put first).

The "shimmer" part comes from modulation - either in the warbly-decay of the analog-style delays (Guitar Rig 3 and the Line 6's plugin has some good ones for this) or, for the U2 sound, Edge is known for using Vox amps which have a very distinct "vibrato" section built-in. It sounds really cool - and combining these elements, you can get that sound pretty well, IMHO.

Also, I'd keep in mind the guitar signal path - always put the fx (except reverb) before the amp

I haven't used Logic's guitar amp pro yet, but surely it's got the above mentioned stuff (without you needing to buy other plugs).

I hope that helps!
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@NineVoltAudio.com
    Loop libraries designed for users of Stylus RMX, Reason and other REX format players

Kyle, you're a rockstar. Thanks for that tip... exactly what I was looking for!

Do you have any tips for creating the U2 sound, but with lots of reverb?
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Do you have any tips for creating the U2 sound, but with lots of reverb?
    Hmmm... I'd probably just use the setup I mentioned already, and put a reverb at the end of the chain. You can experiment with the different types of verb, but I wouldn't use spring.

Also, If you're looking for the big wash sound, you can also pay attention to the length of delay feedback - a nice combo between verb and long-ish delay feedback will get you close to what you want.

Hope that helps. In fact, I hope you've already dialed in the sound!
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@NineVoltAudio.com
    Loop libraries designed for users of Stylus RMX, Reason and other REX format players

Hey Kyle -- those little tricks worked some magic: I got a really cool sound. I guess it's just a matter of combining delays and washing it all out with a long reverb. Thanks for the help!

Kerry

Check out this link on The Edge's delays, very interesting reading and useful information.

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

Go Back to forum