• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Trying to decide between Omni and Stylus RMX..

Share/Bookmark

Trying to decide between Omni and Stylus RMX..

I haven't been here in a while, haha. Anyway, I currently have Logic Studio, which is awesome, and I'm looking to expand my sound library. I know Omnisphere and Stylus RMX (Xpanded) are two really different plugins, and I want both, but I'm only getting one for now. So really, I'm just wondering which will give me a better "upgrade" in a sense. I already have Ultrabeat, EXS 24, Sculpture, etc... but I don't know how these compare to the Spectrasonics lineup. I like all of the sounds I have now (and Logic gives me a TON), but I'd like to step up a little. I'm also concerned about the CPU drinker that is Omnisphere
    Specs: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Aluminum iMac (Intel OS X 10.5), 4GB RAM.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Re: Trying to decide between Omni and Stylus RMX..

Quote Originally Posted by mike1123 View Post
    I haven't been here in a while, haha. Anyway, I currently have Logic Studio, which is awesome, and I'm looking to expand my sound library. I know Omnisphere and Stylus RMX (Xpanded) are two really different plugins, and I want both, but I'm only getting one for now. So really, I'm just wondering which will give me a better "upgrade" in a sense. I already have Ultrabeat, EXS 24, Sculpture, etc... but I don't know how these compare to the Spectrasonics lineup. I like all of the sounds I have now (and Logic gives me a TON), but I'd like to step up a little. I'm also concerned about the CPU drinker that is Omnisphere
    Specs: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Aluminum iMac (Intel OS X 10.5), 4GB RAM.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
    Mike,

I have Stylus and use it quite a bit. I just got Omnisphere and while I love it it is harder on my CPU and I have only used it on a few sparse pieces because of the hardware requirements. I would suggest, if you can only get one, go for Omnisphere. It looks like your system should be able to handle it and it is probably the best soft synth out right now. Stylus is cool for making some grooves and adding glitchy beats to a song. I am fortunate to have all of the expansions for Stylus and while Back Beat and Burning Grooves etc are nice sounding they have not replaced my EZ Drummer or Kontakt samples.

Go for Omisphere. You'll spend so much time going through the patches you'll forget you don't own Stylus!

Humble 2 cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Mike, my suggestion is similar. Based on what you already have....and a lot of other factors.....Omnisphere appears to be your best choice. You won't be disappointed! ........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Depends on what kind of music you make. I have both and thank the powers that be that I can have both, however, Omni really does a number on the CPU-but sound WAY better than anything Logic has.(I use Logic as well) If you have very involved and complex arrangements with lots of VI's than you may find it limiting. If you do a lot of percussion/drum loop type production, I can't imagine NOT having Stylus RMX.

Heh, well I wouldn't say I do loop-based production, but the drums in Logic leave a lot to be desired. I like doing more ambient feeling pieces with pads and the like with maybe one or two orchestral instruments and some cool, intense beats. On one hand the number of patches in Omnisphere is crazy, but then again the grooves in Stylus sound awesome.

So just how many different instances would I be able to run? And does the 8-channel thing mean I can run eight different sounds/parts from one instance?

Thanks for the comments so far

Nowithstanding the question of an electricty supply and other staples, if you were alone on a desert island, but you stumbled across a shelter of some sort which was, in fact, a studio, and there was a computer with one VSTi loaded on board, would you hope for Stylus or Omnisphere to be that one musical instrument?
    (There are no other choices, so forget suggesting them. )

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianL View Post
    Nowithstanding the question of an electricty supply and other staples, if you were alone on a desert island, but you stumbled across a shelter of some sort which was, in fact, a studio, and there was a computer with one VSTi loaded on board, would you hope for Stylus or Omnisphere to be that one musical instrument?
    Boy - you really put a guy in tough position. That's a funny scenario. First of all, I would REALLY hope that it was just a dream and try to wake up.

I have both, but honestly, as much as I love Omni, I would consider RMX more fundamental - a first choice. The XPansion packs for it are really great and anything in REX format, like Action Drums - Taiko Edition, from Ninevolt (which I can't wait to pick up), all become a part of the RMX library and, along with played samples from other VIs, really add a lot to a sound pallet and offer a lot of inspiration. I rarely do anything with loops only, and use them sparingly, and yet they are so useful for me in that respect. And as a "toy" Stylus is a blast to play with.

The multis that come with it, and including those that come with each Xpansion pack, are really inspiring. I think they offer a deal where you can get RMX and all five of those for a really good price.

I can imagine being without Omnisphere (though that makes me start to tear up ), but can't imagine not having RMX. It's funny too, because I wasn't interested in it for a long time - thought it was just for hip hop type stuff, but eventually realized what I was missing out on.

Hope that helps you Mike. You can't go wrong either way. I think both are definitely worth having and the only real decision is which one to buy first. (You could always just flip a coin)
    Last edited by JimB; 12-08-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Additional content

Well, Omni is a bit more money, and this would be a holiday gift, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get the other one anytime soon.

I can only speak for myself. Omni is the first software I will buy once i upgrade my G5. But i would never be without RMX.
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianL View Post
    You would have to go for Omnisphere - it can be both tonal and atonal - with RMX you're limited to the loops you get, so even if the desert island had every SAGE expander out there you'd be pretty limited in terms of making a decent melody with it. ;-)

Just my thoughts.

Go Back to forum