• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help needed with acoustics of chapel

Share/Bookmark

Help needed with acoustics of chapel

We are in the process of designing renovations for a local Methodist Chapel. The building is also used by a famous local (and international) male voice choir. (for practice)

The ceiling of the building needs to be replaced and insulation added.

The problem: The choir is very worried about the work messing up the acoustics of the building. The ceiling is currently plaster laid on laths fixed to joists, about 150 years old. If we replace this with plasterboard, which is softer, will we spoil the sound?

Whatever we do will be wrong, (we realise that) but we would like to be less wrong. (if possible) .

Anyone tell me about acoustics of this type of roof. It is also sort of barrel vaulted but will be altered to flat.

Am I on a loser here?
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: Help needed with acoustics of chapel

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    We are in the process of designing renovations for a local Methodist Chapel. The building is also used by a famous local (and international) male voice choir. (for practice)

The ceiling of the building needs to be replaced and insulation added.

The problem: The choir is very worried about the work messing up the acoustics of the building. The ceiling is currently plaster laid on laths fixed to joists, about 150 years old. If we replace this with plasterboard, which is softer, will we spoil the sound?

Whatever we do will be wrong, (we realise that) but we would like to be less wrong. (if possible) .

Anyone tell me about acoustics of this type of roof. It is also sort of barrel vaulted but will be altered to flat.

Am I on a loser here?
    IMO the best thing to do would be follow the contour of the old ceiling. No matter what you do it will cut some of the acoustics but after everyone gets used to the NEW acoustics everyone should be happy.

If you alter the ceiling to flat it will make a BIG change in the acoustics.

You are kind of in a no win situation.

Good luck.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

I think you should ask the expert in the filed of room acoustics and ask him/her to take a look at it with blue print of the church if there still is, if you really want to be "less wrong"....

Or you can just do renovations and tell the choir "well, it will sounds like old church if we give 150 years."
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P View Post

Or you can just do renovations and tell the choir "well, it will sounds like old church if we give 150 years."

LOL

Thanks, now I have to get the coffee stains off my monitor.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Go Back to forum