• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Concerto Op.1

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto Op.1

Here is the 3rd movement of the Golden Mean Concerto that I have been working on. It is in Rondo form.

Golden Mean mvmt. 3

I hope you enjoy this half as much as I did in writing it.

If you would like to hear the entire work in one LONG mp3 then you can find it here:

Piano Concerto Op. 1
    Sorry, I just checked the link and the only way to hear this is through download. I get a stack overflow error when I try to listen. Not sure what that is all about. Bummer

Subtitle: The Golden Mean

I. Sonata Allegro
    II. Ballad
    III. Rondo

It is 14 and a half minutes long but gives you the idea of how I wanted the flow to work from movement 1 straight on through to the end of movement 3. (Movement 2 and 3 are actually designed to lead from one right into the other.)
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Piano Concerto Op.1

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Here is the 3rd movement of the Golden Mean Concerto that I have been working on. It is in Rondo form.

Golden Mean mvmt. 3

I hope you enjoy this half as much as I did in writing it.
    Wow! Great stuff Richard - and a fitting addition to the other movements. The rising motif that you employ in this works very well and is very uplifting. I also enjoyed the overall tempo and dynamics. The use of solo voices in the strings adds realism and provides the definition and clarity that this excellent writing deserves.

In admiration,

Graham

WOW, I just put this up and you found it. I am glad you like this. It was an interesting piece to develop. The motives and themes as well as the harmony structure was all developed from the notes I got by pairing the numbers of the solution to the Golden Ratio. I tried to think of everything as a line of melodic form and did not rely heavily on traditional harmonic structure. Still my brother says this sounds too tonal for what he expected. I guess I'm just a tonal guy.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Rich

Rich:

This is really good contemporary writing.

Your communication between the solo piano and
    the orchestra is tremendous. Really fine lines
    all the way around.

Also liked the rendering.

This is a really great piece. I wish I could hear a
    recording of it "live." Try to get someone to play
    it for you. I can assure you that it will be a life-
    long treasure.

BRAVO, Rich

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Bravo, Rich, Bravo!

I've listened through the entirety of this twice, now --
    a truly superb modern piano concerto. I am, I must say,
    genuinely impressed with the work in this, my friend;
    and I sincerely hope this finds performance.

Many congratulations on this achievement!

With admiration,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I listened to the whole concerto and enjoyed every minute. This is a very fine modern piano concerto.

I think a hint of tonality adds musical interest to an atonal piece much in the same way that very chromatic or complex harmony can do so for a tonal piece.

An impressive achievement.

Herb

WOW! I bet all the renowned artists of our time are pulling numbers to see who gets to play this first. (You don't have to tell them that all the numbers are "one")

Absolutely terrific conclusion to your piano concerto Rich. I love how you weave fragments of the 1st movement into the 3rd through out and how you use the repeated minor 2nd drone in the second movement as the accompaniment for the new theme in the third.

What strikes me here is the structure and form of this piece. It's very tight and very well written. All the movements work together as a large unit.

I would love to hear this live....I hope one day I will!!

Big congratulations on a major work!

Best,

Cass

A real treat to listen to. I can hear a real playfulness in this movement and I sense you are relaxing and letting things happen.

I don't mind a little tonality myself.

Phil

Rhap2,

Thanks for the comments, Jack. I would love to have this played live. My wife said she could start practicing the piano part but it would take a while to learn (and she is an accomplished pianist). I have another friend who teaches theory and composition in college who is also a fine pianist. Since he is on staff at the Cleveland Institute of Music, he might be able to get the orchestra there to play the piece. I'll just have to wait and see after the holidays.

Thanks for the wonderful remarks. The piece was fun to pull together though the 3rd movement gave me fits.

Rich

etLux,

Thanks David, you are too kind. I deeply respect what you have to say about music (not only mine but all the others who you comment about). This piece gave me some personal insight into developing musical lines and motives without having to rely on the underlying 18th century harmonies that we have become expected to use. Though I say that it does not mean that harmonic structure was ignored. It wasn't. I used 4 note groupings from the golden ratio as harmonic groupings and then aurally determined which groupings had more tension and which groupings had more resting or resolve sound (I hope that made sense). Those groupings were then used as the chordal structure of the piece and used only when deemed necessary for cadence points and climaxes. But, here I go... I ramble.

I will try to find a performance venue and as you I would like to hear the live version as well.

Thanks again, David

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast