• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kasvajideq Latsi Vanõmpille | new choral piece

Share/Bookmark

Kasvajideq Latsi Vanõmpille | new choral piece

Hello,
    I'm back here yet again with a choral work (I'm not exactly sure why I've been writing so many a cappella works lately, but anyway..). It's composed for a contest actually, a competition of choral works of any kind with the only restriction being that it had to be a completely new work and in a certain dialect of Estonian language (so it's a dialect of my native tongue). The reason for the lyrics being in this certain dialect is that the best works submitted will be performed in a song festival held in the region where this dialect is still spoken in Estonia. So much for the background information

The title 'Kasvajideq latsi vanõmpille' is really a dedication - 'for the parents of growing children'. Here's the wonderful poem that was the foundation of this work and I wholly set the music for these lyrics.

Kasvajideq lapsiq vanõmpille

Ku olõt väsünü tast päiväkärast
    ja kambriussõ takast kinni lüüt
    so hinda sisemidsõst särast
    võip vähäs jäiäq. Läbi pümme üü
    kullõq - kostus kaugõst niikui kõno,
    üits ümmin ütlemada mõttist häist.
    Ku naabre nirutedü kassikõno
    naq nühüsseq so kulund kuvvõkäist
    - ja kiskväq riukalidsõq sanaq sassi.
    So süamest valla pääses rõemus joig.
    Ja tagatarõn, silitäden kassi,
    so ummal häälõl laal su väiku poig.

(and a rough translation in English)

Kasvajideq lapsiq vanõmpille

When you're tired of all the daily noise
    and swing the door of your room shut
    it might be that your own (radiance/glow/sparkle?)
    will not be enough. And through the dark night
    you hear - as if ringing like words in the distance
    the sound of remarkably good thoughts.
    And when the neighbour's weary cat
    is rubbing itself against the weathered loin of your coat,
    - and thus renders all your wicked words into a mess.

A joyous melody escapes loose from your heart.
    In the other room, fondling a cat -
    you see your own little son, singing with your own voice.

Enough of the story, have the sheet and the mp3 for listening:
    mp3: http://www.box.net/shared/ij6g3g988j
    pdf: http://www.box.net/shared/qyo54qecc1
    Enjoy!

(EDIT: I'm not sure why but when I try to play the song in box.net it gives me a message 'stack overflow at line: 16'. I can, however, download both files with no problems. Report back if something goes awry!)
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Kasvajideq Latsi Vanõmpille | new choral piece

I understand that 'bumping' my own thread is something people will probably frown upon, but seeing as that it has moved to the depths of page 2 already and received no feedback whatsoever, I grew impatient and decided to post this. If it is in any way against the rules of this forum, forgive me and be free to remove this topic in an instant. No hard feelings
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

I must have missed this. Wonderful and it gets better when the words are really spoken (wait for the Garritan Choir lib). The rendering is a bit with too much reverb and now and then the volume drops. I'd wished to be at the life performance of this work. It is almost a Christmas song.

Do something with that reverb in order to make it more distinct, now the sound is a bit muddy (or it must be intentional, but for me it is like being performed in a cathedral).

Raymond

No hard feelings at all - more of gratitude! I obviously missed this one and am glad you "bumped" it back up. I'll do the same.

The lyrics help to set the stage. A kind of "blue" feeling to this work; I'm sure we can all relate. Nicely "paced" and "introspective" choral work. Sounds very classical in harmonies and phrasing. I would have to check more but the voice leading and registers sound good as well.

A "gentle" work "packed with emotion". Great job!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

This was very nice. It has a serene feel to it.

I sounds like it could be performed in a religious setting.

Phil

Oh, I would have gotten to it eventually, Brindle... lol.
    I'm just running a little behind at the moment (about
    fifty pieces).

I love the poem you set -- even in translation -- and
    the vocal setting of it is quite beautiful, perfectly
    fitting the material, I think.

I do hope you can get this performed! The writing in
    it is clear and straightforward -- most choirs would be
    able to handle this well.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Oh, a VERY beautiful melody and theme. I liked the arrangement alot. There's just something about well written choral works that I enjoy very much.

You should try East/West symphonic choirs, you can type in lyrics in any language and it sounds great. It could be interesting for you..

(Forgive me if i'm not supposed to "PR" non Garritan products in this manner, but since Garritan don't have anything similar I thought it to be ok to give a tip for a fellow musician to make more beautiful music.)

Thanks everybody!
    Yeah I have really thought about getting those choirs, but it's, as always, very expensive, so in the future I'll definitely try to find the finances to buy that..

Brindle, I really like your arranging!

I think the chord changes would be more definite with the reverb having far less reverb time (RT) or a smaller room, at least the arranging would be more clear in the MP3 version.

At the end, I was hoping to hear a baritone part singing C#....... then resolve to B. The B being one fifth above the basses.

this MP3 will give a better idea of what I am talking about.

baritone part demo

Love the arranging!!!!
    Dan

I really really liked that little change, going to try it out very soon - thanks

Go Back to forum