• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I groove lock non RMX MIDI files in Logic?

Share/Bookmark

How do I groove lock non RMX MIDI files in Logic?

I've searched everywhere, sorry if this has been covered. I am trying to use a midi region in Logic to provide timing for an arpeggiator in omnisphere. I am unable to drag and drop directly from the arrange page. If I save the MIDI region to my computer desktop, I can drag and drop from there, but I'm pretty sure there is an easier way. I remember once clicking the "drop midi file here" window and finding the midi file I wanted in the support folder, but now I'm not sure how I got that to work. Any ideas?

Re: How do I groove lock non RMX MIDI files in Logic?

AFAIK, using "export selection as midi file" is the only way to get midi out of Logic. I don't think there's any way to drag a region to your desktop.

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn, that works for me. I could have sworn that once when I clicked on the "Drop MIDI file here" window, the MIDI file that I needed was inside the "support" folder in the directory that automatically opens up. I can't remember what the situation was or what I did, but let me know if you come up with anything that explains what I might have been doing. Thank you!

Hi..It's a bit up in the air as far as I can tell...I can't drag and drop and ultrabeat midi file into Omni..But I can drag and drop a midi file from Addictive Drums..Go figure..JON

As an aside..Doing as Glen mentioned above..really doesn't work very well at all in Omni...I don't know why..But I have yet to find it remotely usefull...Maybe you will have better luck..I have found however dragging from AD a bit better....Neither way seems to work very well to me...I haven't tried this with midi from a REX file yet..But it would seem a much better way...J

It's actually extremely useful for making your arpeggiator groove. See the Arpeggiator video episode
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/omnisph...r/explore.html

It works really well with Stylus RMX. Just drag the midi out of RMX like you usually would, but instead of dragging to your host, drag it to the Omnisphere arpeggiator.

- Glenn

Hi..Yes a bit of clarification on my above post..Was a bit vague..I am refering to the midi files that are exported from Logic...They don't work that well..Of course they aren't a great way to get a feel from a midi file if they have been quantised in a strict way...

So,yes I haven't had a problem dragging from RMX into Omni..And also as I mentioned Addictive Drums...But I haven't had much luck with exported midi files..I'm sure it has much to do with the data...But I'll experiment some more with it..Also is there a limit to the length of the midi file ??

What I'm seeing if it is possible to play freehand with no quantize..Say a piano part in EXS24...Then export the non quantized midi file and have the Arp trigger in a more organic way...Or am I just expecting something that really isn't something Omni's design in this setting was developed for...It would seem to be able to do that,or rather program that sort of thing in Omni would be asking a LOT...But just wondering...JON

"What I'm seeing if it is possible to play freehand with no quantize..Say a piano part in EXS24...Then export the non quantized midi file and have the Arp trigger in a more organic way...Or am I just expecting something that really isn't something Omni's design in this setting was developed for...It would seem to be able to do that,or rather program that sort of thing in Omni would be asking a LOT...But just wondering...JON"

This should work fine and Omnisphere is designed to do exactly what you describe. I'm not sure what you might be doing wrong, but I don't have any problems following this workflow: I select a midi region in the arrange page, go to File->Export->Selection as MIDI file and export the MIDI file to my desktop. Then just drag the MIDI file into Omnisphere.

I'm not sure about MIDI file length limitations, or how it deals with the cycling of the arp in relation to the MIDI file if it is an odd length , but this method has worked flawlessly for me with any kind of four bar loop with timing that is not quantized.

Also keep in mind that if you have a MIDI file with a nice swing on it, but some of the 16th notes (e's and a's) are not represented by notes in the MIDI file, those rhythms will not show up in the arpeggiator. In other words, if there is an eighth note in your MIDI file and your arp is programmed to do sixteenth notes in that section of the timing, the arp will be "quantized" to playing the eighth notes only, despite the swing of the "e's and a's" in other parts of the MIDI region.

Go Back to forum