• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mixing ~ Mastering & Remastering

Share/Bookmark

Mixing ~ Mastering & Remastering

This I know about, I can't figure out a lot of the midi stuff you cats do but this is my ground and I own it.

I own a studio, I do mixing, mastering and every now and then....remastering.

Some of you have heard my mixing & mastering here but here is a piece I remastered. It is the 'Overture to William Tell'. This recording is from 1957. I cleaned it up, did some stereo tricks, EQ tricks, effect tricks and compression tricks to it and this what I got. I did this 4 years ago and I have new tricks now but just have not had the time to redo this track.

http://www.box.net/shared/hyxduy4391

Remastering is way different than mixing & mastering. With mixing & mastering I have full control over all the tracks, I can make them do what I want to get the sound I want. Remastering isn't like that. I have all the tracks together/ mixed down, so I can't deal with individual tracks/instruments but I can work with the frequencies that they are on and tweak them. That is what I did here.

To hear my mixing and mastering, I posted my arrangement , performance, recording and engineering of Silent Night in the listening room.

If you have questions about mixing & mastering, feel free to ask. These things I can answer....midi stuff....not so much. LOL

PS..spelling is optional right now....my cat is wanting attention and walking on the keyboard.

__________________________________________________ _____

If the music dose not move you then you need to start over, you did something wrong. Hippieism.
    Last edited by Hippie; 12-09-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Because at my age I can do it
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Re: Mixing ~ Mastering & Remastering

Let me add this;

Mixing and mastering is like baking a cake.

1. You have all the ingredients on the table (tracks on the mixing board).

2. You add spices & flavoring (effects, EQ's and levels)

3. You blend them together (Mix Down) and put the mix in the oven.

4. After it is baked then you add the frosting to the cake (Mastering)

If the cake dose not taste right you do it again.

I know, it takes time but a perfect cake it worth the time.

My sound, I love, my cakes..not so much.

It's a nice recording fore sure.
    I'd have an other look at your eq. The mids are too dominant here on my Mackie HR-824s.

Thumbs up Re: Mixing ~ Mastering & Remastering

Nice overall. Except, I would like to hear more definition on the timpani mix suggesting less verb or ambiance. However, like I started ... nice!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    Nice overall. Except, I would like to hear more definition on the timpani mix suggesting less verb or ambiance. However, like I started ... nice!

I tried to push the frequencies they were on because I wanted more, (I like it when the house rattles) but that was all I could even with making a big cut just above 200hz to keep the bottom end from running and pushing the other frequencies. Old recordings are so much fun to work with.

When I remastered Dark Side Of The Moon I didn't have that many problems, plus I was having flash backs while I was doing it.

Ah yes, my blunder. I had forgotten this was a remastered now I understand. With this in mind I have to hand it to you you do well at it.
    Dark Side of The Moon flash backs ... oh yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum