• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help Creating Own Sample Libs

Share/Bookmark

Help Creating Own Sample Libs

Hi,

I've got quite a few home-brew samples that I occasionally convert into sample libs in Kontakt or Halion 3. I don't do it more often because it's so frankly tedious. I was hoping to get some ideas on how to speed the process of moving the samples into either sampler.

I typically will record whatever I want in a very organised way, say a drum. I'll do a single take, striking it at 8-9 velocities, from pp to fff, then move to the next articulation. At the end, I've got, say 15 minutes with perhaps 10 articulations, each with 8 velocities. OK.

I import into Wavelab and use it's Auto-Split to create the 80 samples.

Now here's the boring, tedious part. The file naming in Wavelab is not very useful. So unless I've been VERY careful, there's no -easy- way I can figure so far to move the samples into K3 or Halion3 en masse.

The problem is that, I can't easily 'scan' through all the samples as I try to build the program in Hal or K3 so unless I know -ahead- of time which samples go where, it's -very- tedious work.

Any ideas on how to speed up the work -inside- the sampler, if one can't tell from the file name where the sound 'goes' in the program? (ie. which key, which velocity?)

TIA,

---JC

Re: Help Creating Own Sample Libs

I use Sound Forge, but it sounds similar - it's very time consuming to give the parts of a file meaningful names.

So I save all the samples for one articulation in their own folder. Then I use Windows Explorer to rename them - if you select a lot of files at once, and select 'Rename,' Windows will give them all the same name, followed by a number in brackets, which is assigned sequentially, according to the original order of the files within the folder.

Then I dump all the samples back in one giant folder. Rather than importing all the samples at once in Kontakt, I use the control button to select all the samples that belong to a common velocity layer. When they're dragged onto the mapping editor I instantly change the min and max velocities that trigger them (which changes all of them since they're still selected). Provided you have the same velocity layers in each articulation, then every time you drag a set of velocity layers onto the mapping editor they should line themselves up with the right articulation.

Obviously this all includes a bit of extra work, which feels like it's slowing things down earlier on - but it ends up a lot quicker than simply importing several hundred samples and trying to sort them by ear on the mapping editor.
    David

Thanks for the advice... or at least the commiseration.

I wonder how 'pro' lib developers do it... the editing windows in Kontakt are -soooo- tiny.

So you create a separate folder for each -velocity-? I've been doing something similar for each -articulation-. (IOW: I put all the 'stick hits' in one folder, all the 'soft mallet hits' in a 2nd and so on...) I started doing this back in Halion because it can import a group of samples and stack them by velocity all on one note. Can K3 do this?

Where you write

Rather than importing all the samples at once in Kontakt, I use the control button to select all the samples that belong to a common velocity layer. When they're dragged onto the mapping editor I instantly change the min and max velocities that trigger them (which changes all of them since they're still selected). Provided you have the same velocity layers in each articulation, then every time you drag a set of velocity layers onto the mapping editor they should line themselves up with the right articulation.
    I don't know what you mean by the sentence in italics. Can you explain a bit further?

THANKS!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I use Sound Forge, but it sounds similar - it's very time consuming to give the parts of a file meaningful names.

So I save all the samples for one articulation in their own folder. Then I use Windows Explorer to rename them - if you select a lot of files at once, and select 'Rename,' Windows will give them all the same name, followed by a number in brackets, which is assigned sequentially, according to the original order of the files within the folder.

Then I dump all the samples back in one giant folder. Rather than importing all the samples at once in Kontakt, I use the control button to select all the samples that belong to a common velocity layer. When they're dragged onto the mapping editor I instantly change the min and max velocities that trigger them (which changes all of them since they're still selected). Provided you have the same velocity layers in each articulation, then every time you drag a set of velocity layers onto the mapping editor they should line themselves up with the right articulation.

Obviously this all includes a bit of extra work, which feels like it's slowing things down earlier on - but it ends up a lot quicker than simply importing several hundred samples and trying to sort them by ear on the mapping editor.

Hi JC,

In my opinion, there's no easy way to do it. I cut all the samples out of the session audio file by hand, to insure that the start and end points of the sample are as perfect as possible. Automatic splitting utilities just don't do a good enough job. I also tune all the samples by hand as well. Considering CoreGuitar Strawberry has around 1,700 samples, for example, you can imagine how much work went into that product.

Yes, it's tedious work, but in the end it's worth it.
    Greg Schlaepfer
    Orange Tree Samples
    Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Go Back to forum