• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gaps in ethnic instrument libraries

Share/Bookmark

Gaps in ethnic instrument libraries

What sort of gaps do you feel exist currently in ethnic instrument libraries? I'm not just referring to instruments that may have been untouched, but perhaps instruments that have not been thoroughly sampled, or variations/articulations that were not captured in existing libraries.

Personally, I love the sound of the Persian bouzouki, but the only library I know of that has samples of it is Dimension Pro from Cakewalk, and the patch is very basic.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Re: Gaps in ethnic instrument libraries

Andrew:

Congrats on your wonderful Sitar library.

We currently own RA and most of EthnoWorld 4. It seems like Medieval Instruments or Early Music Instruments like Hurdy-Gurdy, Viol de Gamba, Lute, etc have not been sampled in great depth. The US has a wonderful Early Music community in towns like S.F. and Boston, and I'm sure some of these people would be willing to help in creating an Early Music sample library.

Just a thought...

Thanks for the kind words regarding Sitar Nation! Early music instruments would be interesting to sample. My significant other is a graduate from Peabody Conservatory of Music, which is less than 100 miles from here. They have a strong early music program, so that would be interesting to do at some point.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I feel ethnic instruments is nothing but gaps. Really they're still in their infancy; although there is a large selection of instruments out there most of them are not done with the kind of detail or playability that orchestral instruments are now aspiring to.

I own most stuff (other than EthnoWorld4), and the only libraries I would describe as having 'come of age' are BelaD's Anthology and Sonic Couture's Gamelan. (I also have Sitar Nation, but haven't played with it enough yet). There are also some where the sampling is very comprehensive, but using them is too cumbersome - such as the ChineeKong stuff.

The real need isn't for more instruments. It's for people who understand how the instruments are used to plan the sampling (rather than people who have only heard them in soundtracks), and for technologies such as Giorgio's to be applied to the programming.
    David

Personally, I wish developers would worry less about the more exotic instruments and get some of the basics, that I need every day, right. How about a decent sax library? I mean saxes that actually sound like a sax - with subtone samples, etc. How about the oft promised but never delivered vocal libraries? At this point I'd be happy with just Oos and Ahs is they were available in styles other than just classical choirs?

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Personally, I wish developers would worry less about the more exotic instruments and get some of the basics, that I need every day, right. How about a decent sax library? I mean saxes that actually sound like a sax - with subtone samples, etc. How about the oft promised but never delivered vocal libraries? At this point I'd be happy with just Oos and Ahs is they were available in styles other than just classical choirs?
    Some instruments are hard to create especially a sax. So many players have a different style and you can't realistically put that in a library. It's up to the end user to get the sound they want and can be very time consuming.

I've felt the same away about guitar libraries. I stopped buying those.

It's hard to sell the basics.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejr
    How about the oft promised but never delivered vocal libraries? At this point I'd be happy with just Oos and Ahs is they were available in styles other than just classical choirs?

You could try Myriad Harmony Assistant with Virtual Singer singing words in different languages.
    AlexBG

I personally wouldn't mind a Persian bouzouki as well as other string instruments like the oud, saz, setar, etc,....deeply sampled and very playable

many of these style playing instruments rely heavly on rhythm, so something like repeated notes are essential, etc, and one cannot find this on current libraries

I think your sitar is probably the best I have heard so far on a libray, I have yet to try it but the demos are excellent

So I think you can do well with these instruments

and how about some "americana" instruments as well? like the banjo, ukele and mandolin? I would love to have this instruments sampled well

Also I would love, and maybe this is asking too much, a kick middle-eastern fiddle and sarangi that wasn't just a collection of phrases like in the libs we have. I don't know probably only with some samplemodeling technology

Turkish Keman, saz.

Oud.

Yes, a good middle-eastern fiddle.

Central Asian satar (not sitar), tembur, dutar.

Uzbek/Uyghur surnay.

hey thisman

great instruments

Andrew,

I think we are all itching for ethnic instruments that are deeply sampled and expressive and playable

the current ethnic libraries offer a large collection of ethnic instruments, and that's cool but what's missing is that none of these instruments are extensive, they are all pretty basic so they have a very limited use

so I agree 100% with your post

Go Back to forum