• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Dream Of Freedom. For All the ones not having a merry christmas in the world.

Share/Bookmark

A Dream Of Freedom. For All the ones not having a merry christmas in the world.

Hey I wrote A Song for Symphonic Orchestra. It's called "A Dream Of Freedom". It's for everybody that may not have a good christmas like we do in Norway. I've never really worked that much with symphonic orchestral music. Though I always loved making "Symphonic" songs.. But I'd really appreciate any feedback on the orchestration etc. I will upload a new version when I get some "space" from it and can hear what's wrong etc.

www.datacide.no/ADreamOfFreedom.mp3

I also wrote a song called Eastern Promise. It's piano cello and Clarinet, guitar and drums. I Imagine the English Detective (put your favorite funky english name here), driving through a forest on his way to a crime. Hope you enjoy it

www.datacide.no/EasternPromise.mp3

Oh and merry Christmas everybody.

Re: A Dream Of Freedom. For All the ones not having a merry christmas in the world.

I enjoyed A Dream Of Freedom.

You make a noble statement here about repression and the hope of freedom.

It was well done and well thought out.

Great job on this!

Phil

Re: A Dream Of Freedom. For All the ones not having a merry christmas in the world.

Hey Ari,

Your symphonic work is very impressive. Enjoyed the sentiment as well. Your work takes a very interesting and colorful turn toward the middle. Wonderful and very creative music! Now, Datacide is something completely different. I also have roots in the Metal Music genre.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Re: A Dream Of Freedom.

This may not be an acceptible comparison politically, but musically, the opening phrase of Dream, very much reminded me of Sibelius' Finlandia. You have a very good ear for interesting orchestral music. A little more attention to layering of the voices, a little more counterpoint and bolder dynamic variation will improve this very attractive piece. To achieve the latter the trick is some VERY soft contrasting passages. For example, that could give your rise at 1:30 an even greater impact. I see you did pay attention to dynamics on individual instruments. Even more of that does not hurt and can add a lot to realism.
    If music be the food of love, play on... Twelfth Night
    www.cscale.com

Re: Eastern Promise

Another compelling work, melodically and rhytmically. I especially love subtle the modality. The drums were a pleasant surprise and worked well.

Once again, the dynamic balance between the instruments could improve, each one coming into prominence at key passages. Pan settings can also contribute.

It's clear that we have more than an interest in tango and orchestration in common. You might enjoy and get some ideas from my similar setting for clarinet, cello and piano: "Homeland":
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1123552&t=1896

I welcome your feedback and suggestions as well. Always trying to improve.

Regards,
    Albert
    If music be the food of love, play on... Twelfth Night
    www.cscale.com

I liked Dream of Freedom, Ari, especially the rhythmic
    work in the latter half of the piece. A little more work,
    perhaps, on some of the thinking with line.

Eastern Promise, as well -- with its subtle flavoring
    and well controlled drive forward with those guitar
    licks... unexepected, but very effective.

Well done!

My best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ari

I agree with David. I also enjoyed the second half of this witgh the driving rhythms.

Nicely done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thank you for all the great feedback! I'll definately work on the dynamics. It's quite obvious that i have a lot to learn with this type of music, and this forum is great for that purpose. Thank you everyone for that.

@Michael. Cool that you found my metal project . Feel free to add a comment on my myspace. I'd love to hear some of your metal stuff too, if you have anything recorded that is :S .

-Ari

I liked Dream of Freedom. I thought the mood and rhythm changed a lot at about 1:50 so the piece broke into two separate sections with no return to the opening theme. Perhaps a smoother transition, or some anticipation of the rhythm of the second section in the first, would work better.

Eastern Promise is great creating a "car chase" mood with some fine surprises.

Well done.

Herb

Ari:

"Noble" is a good descriptive term for your symphonic piece. The
    tempo is slow, but the "drive" is there.

The second half is less symphonic to my ears, but very rhythmic
    and defining. Good use of percussion.

On my download there is a lot of reverb. It carries the piece,
    but I wonder how it would sound if less were used.

Good to hear your music Ari. Venture more into the "symphonic"
    arena. I think you will be surprised at the quality of your production
    there.

Thanks for posting this piece.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum