• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Developers: How about an Accoustic & Pedal Steel

Share/Bookmark

Developers: How about an Accoustic & Pedal Steel

I'm really impressed with the quality of the electric guitar libraries that have come out in the last couple of months. It seems to me that now the accoustic guitar market is open to similar improvement. The only accoustic of consequence that I'm aware of is the RealGuitar. It's now long in the tooth and I believe it uses 16 bit samples. At any rate even though I have the Real Strat, the Real Guitar has never sounded convincing to me.

On a different topic. I know of no pedal steel libraries out there. A developer could really differentate themselves by putting out a high quality pedal steel library.

Re: Developers: How about an Accoustic & Pedal Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Meyo View Post
    On a different topic. I know of no pedal steel libraries out there. A developer could really differentate themselves by putting out a high quality pedal steel library.
    Au contraire!

http://wavelore.com/wlps_details.shtml

I did an internet search before I posted this thread. I noticed this library, but it's under a considerable cloud because Tascam discontinued the Giga platform.

If I had experience with Giga products and felt that I could get several years of use out of this with no support, then I'd go for it. But I've never used Giga.

As far as I could tell this was the only high quality library out there for pedal steel.

I'll be looking at them in the future to see if they can successfully port to another platform.

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyo View Post
    I did an internet search before I posted this thread. I noticed this library, but it's under a considerable cloud because Tascam discontinued the Giga platform.

If I had experience with Giga products and felt that I could get several years of use out of this with no support, then I'd go for it. But I've never used Giga.

As far as I could tell this was the only high quality library out there for pedal steel.

I'll be looking at them in the future to see if they can successfully port to another platform.

Thanks for the link.
    I believe they said they are going to port their pedal steel to the Kontakt player format. Despite not being happy about the fact that it will make the library much larger in size and they will have to attempt to compensate for the fact that the Giga Virtual Instrument did certain things better than the Kontakt Player does.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston View Post
    I believe they said they are going to port their pedal steel to the Kontakt player format. Despite not being happy about the fact that it will make the library much larger in size and they will have to attempt to compensate for the fact that the Giga Virtual Instrument did certain things better than the Kontakt Player does.
    Hi All,

I am the developer of the PSG.

First off, there won't be "no support" per se, but that does not mean we can fix any and all problems. That said, all of our customers have the product working on their 32-bit systems. 64 is a little less predictable. Whatever the case, the lack of Tascam support is what prompted us to offer free trials, so that people can know whether the instrument a) works and b) is what they're looking for, before buying.

As for the Kontakt port, it's difficult, as I am no scripting guru - just starting to learn. This instrument, in it's giga form, goes beyond what most developers have done in the past, even with Kontakt, so scripting it's behavior in K2 could take a while if it's possible at all.

Please feel free to give the trial a go, if you're interested but unsure of compatibility or quality.

Thanks for your interest!

Mark Belbin
    Wavelore Instruments

p.s., I'd love to have an active thread on NS about my products, but I am not a paid advertiser. Therefore, out of respect for the forum, I ask that you e-mail or pm me any inquiries. Address on our site.

I for one,would love to see a pedal steel, lap steel, or dobro library in Kontakt format!

A developer could really differentate themselves by putting out a high quality pedal steel library.
    Yes, that would a unique instrument (I haven't checked out Wavelore's).

I owned a Pedal Steel about a decade ago, and learned some very basics, and it just seems that it would be an extremely difficult instrument to fairly represent, much less make it easy to play from a midi keyboard.

I had a "basic" model, which had 8 strings, four knee levers, three foot pedals, and a volume pedal.

It would take some pretty incredible scripting to do it right.
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@NineVoltAudio.com
    Loop libraries designed for users of Stylus RMX, Reason and other REX format players

Right now, for pedal steel, I would say look into band in a box... Although this is not something you're going to be able to play on the keyboard, it will generate pedal steel solos as well as comping using a pedal steel... If you need pedal steel sound for some tracks, whether multimedia or a song, it works very well, very convincing... If you want to play your own lines this is not the tool, but if you need pedal steel right away, no brainer pedal steel I might add, this does the job...

O.K., let me just say that WaveLore's Pedal Steel library is awesome! It sounds great, and if you dig into it, you can do some very convincing things. Mark B has developed an instrument here, and like most instruments, you need to practice it and figure out the nuances, but even out of the box, it can surely get that "sound". There is no comparision with the Band In A Box program, a different league.

I'm on GigaStudio 3 and GVI, and these 2 platforms have been extremely solid.

Enjoy,

Mr. A.
    Nuendo 3/ Cubase 4.5 on XP sp2 QuadCore 2.66 Ghz VisionDaw Built DAW RME HDSP 96/52 into ProTools HD3 (digi192x6) on MacPro 3 Ghz... Farm PCs x (6) VisionDaw Machines PC Dual 2.66 Ghz w- Kontakt 3.5 w/ UAD Cards Midi Over Lan

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post

I didn't know they were still in business. I e-mailed them 3 or 4 times months ago because I was interested in the Steel Pedal. They never responded.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Go Back to forum