• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sea, for piano and theremin (Steinway)

Share/Bookmark

Sea, for piano and theremin (Steinway)

Hello.

A new work, with the lovely Garritan Steinway!

www.nikolas-sideris.com/stuff/sea.pdf (the score, as always)
    www.nikolas-sideris.com/stuff/sea.mp3 (the music itself).

It's not a real piano but it's the closest it can get, right now.
    It's not a real theremin, and it's not immensly good, but it works fine for the purpose.

The piece was conceived underwater, in Greece, over the summer!!!! No idea what came to me at the time, but... I ended up with this weird little piece.

Enjoy!

Re: Sea, for piano and theremin (Steinway)

Nikolas,

If it weren't for the title I would think perhaps - Space? Some type of exploratory environment. For me, this work expresses a sense of search and discovery and the oddities that may be uncovered.

Much enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Wow...what a piece. The effect is really amazing. What Theremin did you use? No, because I'm looking for a decent Theremin VST to use in my next project...yours sounds great!!!!

Best regards,

Andrea.
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

Nikolas

Reminds me of B movies from the 70's.

Maybe even an episode of The Outer Limits.

Weird is right. But if we weren't weird, we wouldn't compose music.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Nikolas, you surely never lack for ingenuity! The
    score alone was worth the trip.

(While I think of it, given the G.Steinway, how did you
    simulate the fingernail-on-the-strings effect?)

Now... as a piece of music: I listened through this
    several times, my friend -- well conceived, well paced,
    and downright riveting in the dynamism that develops
    as the piece moves forward.

Four aces, Nikolas -- loved it!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

That was definitely different. The underwater world is an alien place in many ways so I think this piece works in that regard.

It was an interesting trip.

Phil

Michael: Many thanks for listening. You are absolutely right actually! I do think that sea and space are close together as general concepts in our minds, and moreover the fact that the theremin has been used for a long time for space B movies (as Ron mentions) is enough for us to make the connection.

It wasn't, from my behalf, the strong case of trying to emulate an 'underwater' feeling, but the piece was conceived while underwater, so I guess, it took such form and aesthetics from the time I was thinking about it.

Andrea: Many thanks for listening. I found the theremin, while I was working on a project requiring a 40-50s B movie effect, with a... theremin. so I searched in KVRAudio and found this, which is extremely nice (and free, btw): http://www.simple-media.co.uk/music/...superspookkeys

Ron: Weird huh? Well you know me... I'm NOT weird at all! I'm even weirded! (and quite diverse, if I may say so myself). heh... Thanks for listening mate. I do promise to return the favor soonish (after I return from London, where I have to travel tomorrow (again (and again (and again)))).

Hello David.
    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Nikolas, you surely never lack for ingenuity! The
    score alone was worth the trip.
    I love making those wavy lines, for gliss, I don't think many have the patience to do it (they're just legato slurs, bend in the right fashion in Finale 2009). I used to do a lot of copying work in Finale 98 (!!!!!), so I still have a love for this, since I work with pencil and paper.

And it's an opportunity to listen to some music, instead of composing all the time!

(While I think of it, given the G.Steinway, how did you
    simulate the fingernail-on-the-strings effect?)
    heh... It's harp... I don't have GPO (in Cubase, at least and didn't have time to export from Finale, etc), so I used the EW gold library I have and the harp, with a huge amount of EQ! Worked rather well I'd say.

The harmonics at the beginning (1st bar), these were troublesome and finally I didn't do them. Tried some filters on, but sounded quite ugly, so I let it go, for the live playing... :-/

Now... as a piece of music: I listened through this
    several times, my friend -- well conceived, well paced,
    and downright riveting in the dynamism that develops
    as the piece moves forward.

Four aces, Nikolas -- loved it!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks.

I was afraid that with this ever going pulse of 1/4 note, breaking here and there it woul be too weird, but it does work for me as well. I'm not exactly the best judge of my own music, but seeing that people enjoyed it, it does feel right after all! And dynamic changes are almost always present in my music! I couldn't live without them!

Thank you David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast