• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mac or PC ??

Share/Bookmark

Mac or PC ??

Hi,

Could anyone recommend which platform one should use with regards to being a PC musician, I'm trying to decide between Mac or PC. At current I'm running on Windows XP-SP2 but due to bugs viruses hackers etc, I'm tired of the ongoing issues with a PC. It seems i have to run my antivirus software applications at least twice a week to keep the system clean, even then there are still minor issues.

What is the arrangement using an audio sound card with a Mac? at present i have a PCI soundcard installed in my desktop, but given all the components of a Mac are built in to the back of its monitor, i can only assume a external USB soundcard would be the way to go, am i right??

Cheers
    Musicmad.
    Music.. the many characters of how God speaks to us all

Re: Mac or PC ??

I've been running PC's for years with very few virus hits which usually come through emails. My virus scanners have always cleaned these. Beware that a MAC can get viruses no matter what the ads say. They are also prone to malware which is more prevalent today than viruses. If you keep your security updates up to date and stay with safe websites, then you should have very few problems. One of the main issues today is junk you get in emails especially greeting cards. I always delete greeting card emails without opening them and then let my relatives know to quit sending these to me. Also, I let the relatives and friends know that I don't want forwarded emails with jokes, virus alerts, etc sent to me. Many of these are infected emails.

Maybe you just need to do a clean install on your PC to clean out the extra junk that piles up over time. Then install just what you need. Make sure you backup any files that might be needed first. Since you already have a PC, try it first.

Jim

Hi Haydn, thanks for your feedback, appreciated..

Musicmad
    Music.. the many characters of how God speaks to us all

Quote Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
    Hi,

Could anyone recommend which platform one should use with regards to being a PC musician, I'm trying to decide between Mac or PC. At current I'm running on Windows XP-SP2 but due to bugs viruses hackers etc, I'm tired of the ongoing issues with a PC. It seems i have to run my antivirus software applications at least twice a week to keep the system clean, even then there are still minor issues.

What is the arrangement using an audio sound card with a Mac? at present i have a PCI soundcard installed in my desktop, but given all the components of a Mac are built in to the back of its monitor, i can only assume a external USB soundcard would be the way to go, am i right??

Cheers
    Musicmad.
    I don't think the problem is the OS platform. I would think the problem lies with the user.

Ahhhh. The ol' Mac versus PC thang. Here's my take on it.

There are two types of endusers.
    The first being the overwhelming majority. That's the one who uses one computer for Music, Internet, Games, Office stuff and so forth.
    The second is one who has a dedicated machine for Music only.

The question of PC versus Mac should really be based on WHAT software you want to use.
    If for example you want to use Logic then you have no chose, you must use a Mac.
    Yeah, there are ways around this, including hybrids but that's all crap in the long run.

If like me and you use Cubase, you have a choice.

I use PCs for another reason. Yes, I have machines that are ONLY for Music but I learnt computing on a PC
    and Windows is more configurable than OSX. I don't want to relearn another O/S.
    More importantly, everything I want to use, samples, plugins and so on are available for the PC. Also, PCs are easier to build and cheaper.

Best advice is this.

Have 2 computers. One for Music and a general purpose Machine for checking out nastygrannies.com. Or whatever floats your boat.

Don't get a Mac because ya think they're cool or better, they're not.
    What's cool is being able to setup your computer to do what you want it to do.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I'm also a 2 computer user. One is dedicated to music and video editing. The other one is for paying bills, email, internet and occasional gaming. The internet machine is the one that takes all the damage although I've had very few issues in almost 15 years of being on the internet.

Jim

If you are a gamer, that rules out Mac.

I've been thinking lately about the Mac / Pc thing.
    If Jobs leaves Apple could it be possible that the company may find a way to produce Macs at a more affordable price point?

AND. could it be possible that Windows would be as comfortable residing on their HDs as OSX?

I can't help feel that Apple will ultimately build on their hybrid solution.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I think that a computer is nice option then mac. We can able to installed so many software as our requirement and there are so many antivirus which are able to remove threats from our computer permanently. And you can able to change operating system us per our requirement in computer but it was not possible on mac.

PC is better than MAC because the operating speed on PC is more than MAC so it is major prime difference why people prefers PC instead of MAC.

Go Back to forum