• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Galaxy II?

Share/Bookmark

Galaxy II?

I need to pick up a decent sounding piano VI ASAP and was wondering, for those of you who have Galaxy II, what you think of it's sound quality. The demos sound really good to me.

I am not a pianist but want it to sound as good as possible. I have the Steinway D that came with EWQLSO Gold, and it has sounded okay as long as there is enough going on around it. But I am working on a project where the piano is much more up front, even alone in the intro, and it isn't cutting it.

On the project in question it's kind of a Dr. John, quassi gospel sound that I am going for. And yet I do a lot of different stuff stylistically and need as wide a range of tones as possible. Seems like that package, with those three pianos, would be good in that respect.

EW (who sells Galaxy II) has their 40% off sale right now and to get that for around $200 would be perfect. Not sure if I can afford the $350 for Ivory at this point. And I don't have the sys for EW Pianos, unfortunately.

Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Galaxy II?

I don't have Galaxy II so I can't give you a direct opinion about it, but you can try it out at http://www.try-sound.com/. You have to deal with latency, but you can at least get a good idea of what the entire library sounds like.

Michael

I don't normally go on line with my DAW computer - except to get updates only. And then it's just get on, download, and get off ASAP.

Hmmmm. Do need to find a safe way to be able to do that though.

I would still really appreciate any comments from those who do have it.

Talking Re: Galaxy II?

Awesome piano. Use it on everything. You can't go wrong with Galaxy II. Best I've heard all around.
    DAW

I wrote a review of Galaxy II for Film Music Magazine where I tested all three pianos with Hanon exercises, scales, and downloaded MIDI files of pieces by Debussy and other composers.

My review was "thumbs up" as it performed very well. Scales in octaves, then in two octaves apart tell the story with sampled pianos.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    I need to pick up a decent sounding piano VI ASAP and was wondering, for those of you who have Galaxy II, what you think of it's sound quality. The demos sound really good to me.

I am not a pianist but want it to sound as good as possible. I have the Steinway D that came with EWQLSO Gold, and it has sounded okay as long as there is enough going on around it. But I am working on a project where the piano is much more up front, even alone in the intro, and it isn't cutting it.

On the project in question it's kind of a Dr. John, quassi gospel sound that I am going for. And yet I do a lot of different stuff stylistically and need as wide a range of tones as possible. Seems like that package, with those three pianos, would be good in that respect.

EW (who sells Galaxy II) has their 40% off sale right now and to get that for around $200 would be perfect. Not sure if I can afford the $350 for Ivory at this point. And I don't have the sys for EW Pianos, unfortunately.

Any input would be appreciated.
    I do not own Galaxy II but it sounds good on the demos.

That said, IMHO the ArtVista Virtual Grand 2 is really good for that Dr. John/New Orleans type of sound.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I love Galaxy II: it's probably the best piano in my arsenal, and I even prefer it to Ivory. You can't go wrong with it, I'd just splurge and buy it.

Kerry

Thanks for those responses. That did help me to make up my mind. The demos do sound great - it just helps to hear some positive feedback.

And Ashermusic, I hear you about the ArtVista - I did check that out. Sounds like it would be great for Jazz stuff too. I just need a one stop VI
    for now that will cover a wide range of styles.

Thanks again for the help.

I actually think AVGP2 does everything pretty well.

Although when I want a piano that sits great in a mix, handles EQ and compression with aplomb, and is a little more neutral, I still use Sampletekk's Seven Seas Grand.

And when I want that moody filmesque type of piano, ArtVista's Maljmso is the one.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I second the rec of the Maljmso piano. I think every composer should have that in their toolbox.

kerry

Go Back to forum