• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Wife's Kidney Story ABCNEWS 20/20 Fri Dec 12th 10pm EST

Share/Bookmark

My Wife's Kidney Story ABCNEWS 20/20 Fri Dec 12th 10pm EST

Hi all,

I don't spend nearly as much time as I ought to on this wonderful forum, but I'm just jumping on to invite Garritan members living within broadcast of ABC Television's program 20/20 to tune in Friday evening December 12th at 10pm EST to see a segment regarding my wife and a gift she made to a friend in the early summer just past.

We're hoping that this will help raise folks awareness regarding kidney disease and transplants and hopefully in a time where greed seems to be dominating every headline, it might be refreshing to hear a story about giving.

Cheers,
    Erik Paulsen

Re: My Wife's Kidney Story ABCNEWS 20/20 Fri Dec 12th 10pm EST

Thanks for the information. My wife always watches the show and usually drags me away from the computer and my music to watch it.
    I will definitely watch it this week and bless you and especially your wife on such a generous and completely giving response to another's need. It is refreshing to hear in these times.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Thanks for the information. My wife always watches the show and usually drags me away from the computer and my music to watch it.
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

What a wonderful gift your wife gave, literally the gift of life. I'll be sure to watch.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I'm watching it now Erik, awesome story, your song sounded great here in my living room

give Joni a well deserved hug for me.

Dan

Thanks for lending your mixing and mastering genius to this, you da best Dan!!!

Just saw the story. What an incredible couple of gals and spouses. A gift that will give for a lifetime. Great story about great people! Thanks for letting us know about the story.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

perhaps the best thing that this story portrays is,...

it truly is better to give than to receive.
    Being blessed, and being a blessing is a very humbling experience.

Joni's life is richer now.
    Dan

What a heartwarming story on 20/20 tonight.

This is a story of the most wonderful gift a person can give. A gift of life for a friend. Baby Madi is so precious and this gift is for her too.

It was good to see you in the report. I wish we could have heard more of your music.

You are one lucky fellow, Erik to be married to such a giving person, but you probably know that. And Joan is very lucky too.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Merry Christmas,

Gary

PS If anyone missed the story you can read about it here: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=6443167&page=2

Gary: Huge thanks for the link. Non US citizens would have a tad trouble watching the show...

*Nikolas is done reading!

What a story!

such a gift is wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    perhaps the best thing that this story portrays is,...

it truly is better to give than to receive.
    Being blessed, and being a blessing is a very humbling experience.

Joni's life is richer now.
    Dan
    Yes Dan, giving this gift has definitely had an effect on Joan. I must confess, that she has emerged from this ordeal enlightened and empowered.

Thanks Gary for posting the print link. The song which you heard briefly is "Joni's Love" and I'd been playing with improving it's production values for months before Ani became ill. It was something I'd done many years ago and last year Joan was pushing me to get it to iTunes as for obvious reasons, it was her favorite work of mine.

When Joan told me she was going to test as a donor, not being one to stifle my wife's dreams or goals, I said of course, by all means test. I thought to myself, "Don't get too excited, she might not even be a match." Of course I had to ask myself, "But what if she is really a match? Then how are you going to feel?" Well I didn't have to think more than a minute to realize, this had to be done... I processed this question many times before the test results came through, and the answer was always clear, though it didn't make me very happy.

I supported this, but I had inner conflict. How was I going to remove this conflict? How was I going to become a full donation team supporter? Weeks later I was playing with the song in the late hours of the evening and I had a small epiphany. I broke out the book where I keep all my lyrics and poems and things and I read the words along with the music. The change was complete. It was like a switch flicked inside me. I went downstairs to Joan's studio and broke down telling her that she was blessed to have a friend for which she would do this and that I was fully behind the operation, my reservations were over, my decision was complete.

In the coming weeks I went with Joan to the hospital to meet the transplant team. I was once rescued by a life guard many years ago in thirty foot seas and I remember when that guy came out to get me. I was scared but I relaxed and let him do his thing and he dragged me back to shore OK. After meeting this transplant crew I realized that these folks where not too different from that lifeguard. That it was going to be OK. We would all be brought back from this OK, it would be alright in the end and so it has!

Thanks so much for checking this story out and remember. There are quite a few of us who wouldn't think twice about trying to pull a friend from a burning car, wouldn't think twice about running into a burning building to rescue a loved one. This is pretty much doing the same, but its about a million times safer. If there is somebody close to you in need of a transplant, you might keep that thought in mind.

Hehe, as a side note, yes I finally got "Joni's Love' to iTunes. Dan did the final mixing and a great job indeed. I did create a good portion of the music used in the story, as Bob Brown is a friend of mine and surprised me with the request before we left the hospital. But, they wouldn't let me read a script or see any visuals as I was subject... So it was quite challanging and all from memory of what I experienced...

This fall Joan, Ani and I teamed up with St. Luke's hospital to become one of the top ten leading fund raisers for the National Kidney Foundation in New York City. Its a nice place to send a donation if this is something close to you.

Here's my sub link to the NKF. Look through the site and find the chapter in your neighborhood if you'd like to participate in a local walk or fundraiser.
    http://walk.kidney.org/site/TR/Walk/...nal&fr_id=1204

Cheers,

Erik

Go Back to forum